• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG LFX31945ST/07 not cooling, started with a ER RF code

ned3323

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX31945ST/07
Brand
LG
Hello, I have been battling my refrigerator since Monday morning. Late Sunday I got an ER RF code and reset the unit and it was back on Monday morning. I looked through the parts list and did tons of reading through the internet and ordered an evaporator fan motor but I believe I ordered and replaced the wrong ones. I replaced both fans in the freezer section, again, I believe it was bad information I was given and I was not able to pull the refrigerator out to test on the board. Anyway, I replace both fan units in the by the freezer section and put it back into operation and the ER RF returns but the freezer worked. So I ordered the board thinking I had done the last steps correctly.

I put the board in on Wednesday and the refrigerator section started to cool but stopped and the freezer section has done the same. Would the evaporator freezing up in refrigerator side cause the freezer to stop working? Is the refrigerant migrating to the evap and not allowing the freezer to work properly? When I do test 1 on the board (I was able to get the unit out and to the back) all the fans run, even the refrigerator evap fan. I finally got to test the voltage on connector on the board and it is 5V but it is not showing an ER RF now.

Any comments, feedback, ideas are welcomed. I work in the commercial HVAC/R field and work with furnaces and ACs but rarely this small stuff. I used Rick's trick of the safety pins on my meter to check voltage so thanks for that tip!!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

ned3323

Premium Member
Rick, thanks for the response. I changed that motor and the board and it is still measuring 5v DC on the dot. I had to have a working refrigerator so I bought a new one and this one is going to be recycled. I really appreciate the knowledge and response from everyone here. Hopefully this new one lasts more than 5.5 years, and it's not a LG. Thanks!

Nate

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the update Nate. That's weird the motor didn't fix the problem. LG has had many many problems with that machine. I'm glad you didn't get another one.