• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG LFX33975ST/03 error codes ER IF and ER rF

mannytreehorn

Model Number
LFX33975ST/03
Brand
LG
This refrigerator was purchased new in 2013. Haven't had much issues with it till now. This is the french door style with the freezer in the lower cabinet. A couple of years ago the fan in the freezer started making noise and I discovered the drawer hadn't been closed fully thereby allowing the evaporator in the freezer to ice up. I turned off the fridge and figured out how to remove the drawers and used a blow drier to melt the ice. No problems until a few days ago when the fan started making noise again. I checked to make sure the bottom door was closed properly, which it appeared to be.

Soon thereafter the fan stopped making the noise. Later that day I noticed an error code that read ER IF. I checked on youtube and discovered that was probably the ice maker fan. By turning off the power to fridge and turning it back on the error codes temporarily reset for a few hours, but now the code has changed to ER rF which seems to indicate a malfunctioning fan. I was still thinking the unit was iced up and again removed drawers and outer door, and this time removed inner panel containing the freezer fan and the ice maker fan.

To my surprise this time though no ice build up. No ice at all. I inspected both fans and neither one seemed bad rotation wise or had excessive endplay. So I put everything back together and this time tried the test mode button on the main board.

The freezer fan does not run and you can't see the ice maker fan when it's installed in the panel. When I open the upper doors, the system shuts down because of the door switches. When I open the freezer door does the system shut down too or should it stay running? I don't see any type of switch to indicate the drawer is opened. But there is a light that turns on and off for the freezer when it is opened and shut. If the freezer fan is bad why no code ER FF. Until now I never knew there was an ice maker fan.

I realize the main board could be bad as well. How do I trouble shoot this. I just tried taping upper door switch on the left door to keep system running as I have been typing this. When I opened the left side door there was cold air coming out of the upper duct/vent hole leading to the ice maker. So it would seem the ice maker fan is running at least until the next error code. Fridge will run approximately 3-4 hrs before error code. Bad freezer fan? Bad ice maker fan? Bad main board? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzvgAyLTSh14bjZzSlBZd0NKZDA/view?usp=sharing

The refrigerator fan is in the fresh food compartment behind the duct.

If the fan is working measure the voltage drop between 1-2 and 1-3 of the CON6 connector. If the voltage is less than 12 VDC between 1-2 replace the board EBR75234705 Pcb Assembly,main

If the voltage is 0 VDC or 5 VDC replace the refrigerator fan motor: EAU64824401 Motor,dc
LFX33975 Er rF.jpg

To check the ER IF(Ice maker Fan) It tells you how on page 34 of the service manual.

If the freezer fan is bad why no code ER FF.
That is a good question, it shouldn't.

To check the ER FF(Freezer Fan) It tells you how on page 33 of the service manual.

Here's the freezer fan motor for your model:
EAU60694527 Motor, dc

Jake