• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG LFXS30766S refrigerator water leak near ice maker

GoodHomer

Premium Member
Model Number
LFXS30766S
Brand
LG
We have an LG LFXS30766S french door refrigerator (out of warranty) that is leaking water near the top of the ice maker when the ice maker is running. Water seems to be falling down the back of the ice maker (as you are facing it with the door open). The circled area in one of the attached photos is my best guess as to the source of the leak. I initially thought it might be leaking or splashing where the water actually enters the ice maker, but after running the ice maker with the door open and adding some silicone to that area (just in case), I don't think that's the problem.

I was wondering if anyone has seen this issue before. Also wondering how difficult it is to remove the door, because that seems like the next logical step to isolate the issue. Looking at the parts diagrams, I also can't tell what part would even be replaceable in that area, because the ice maker water valve is behind the refrigerator AFAIK.

Parts diagrams: LG Refrigerator LFXS30766S Repair Parts

Thanks!

Photo May 21, 11 04 28 AM.jpg
Photo May 21, 11 04 23 AM.jpg

Last edited:

lwimmer13

We have had the same problem.

We have the same problem. When we have the ice maker on it leaks and then it freezes and jams the Icemaker. I have been toying with fixing it but I spent a lot of money on another LG fridge that I spent 6 months trying to get replaced. This is the replacement so I am not too happy about another problem. What did you figure out was wrong

GoodHomer

Premium Member
A copy:

A helpful LG tech fixed the issue today. Just passing a couple things along for anyone who finds this thread with a similar problems:

The water was intermittently splashing back from the water channel near the fill tube (the one time I saw a harvest with the door open, the water didn't appear to do that). The fix was to bend the fill tube ever so slightly back towards the door (too much and you end up with a similar issue). I would test it several times to make sure no water is getting back there, and there may be a better fix (e.g. adding to the height of the channel).

On this refrigerator there is a pinhole button next to a small square plastic cover on the front of the ice maker that will initiate a harvest with a paper clip, and it has to be pressed for 3-5 seconds.
Sorry I forgot to update this thread as well. Hope this info helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

coolcat

Do you have any after pictures of how much the hose was bent to get it to stop leaking? I am dealing with the exact same issue and struggling just to bend the hose even a little bit as I don’t want to break anything. It would really help if I had a visual as a reference for exactly what it should look like when it’s done.

I have also considered sealing between the neck of the hose and the top of the piece that initially reroutes the water with some silicone or perhaps even 3-D printing an entirely new part that would fit with less space so that less water could get out.

GoodHomer

Premium Member
No sorry, it was bent maybe 5-10 degrees. I can't get a good photo without taking it back apart. It's pointed ever so slightly towards the door side now. IIRC he used a pair of pliers on the metal/foil portion of the hose, so you'll need a decent amount of force.

I wouldn't worry about bending it too much, you can always test and confirm it's no longer leaking (I assume you've already confirmed that is where it is splashing out by initiating a harvest).

My guess is that even if it's out of warranty, they may cover it anyways since it's a known issue. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Bob K.

I had the same Problem also.....!!!! This model needs someone to post a DIY video on You tube for this. I have also posted a complaint with consumer reports. I had called LG with the probems when it wat just months old. They wanted to sent a technician out at my cost even though refrigerator was still under waranty! I have been through this drill a number of times of thawing the whole door out. They did tell me I could bend that hose pipe also myself. I did try that but I did not want to break it off or something as it did not seem to bend so I barely moved it. Good Homer you mentioned 5-10 degrees toward the door side but did you mean the door that has the Lever or the Main refrigerator door. In other words did you mean bendig it more toward the inside of the refrigerator (or toward the plastic door with lever on it) when the all doors are closed or bending it 5-10 degrees as if it would spray toward the outside (or splash against the inside of the big metal door) when all doors are closed? Or something else!

Encar Lane

We have had the same problem.

We have the same problem. When we have the ice maker on it leaks and then it freezes and jams the Icemaker. I have been toying with fixing it but I spent a lot of money on another LG fridge that I spent 6 months trying to get replaced. This is the replacement so I am not too happy about another problem. What did you figure out was wrong
I hear you! I made a mistake of going to the same model