• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG LW1015ER does not cool, fan blows but compressor doesnt stay on.

mazukea

Premium Member
Model Number
LW1015ER
Brand
LG
Hey so my LG window air conditioning unit stopped blowing cold air. It basically only works as a normal fan now. When I switch it to the COOL function, the fan continues to blow, then when the compressor kicks in, it sounds like its working hard, then it just shuts off after a couple of seconds. Then after another 10 seconds or so, it tries to come back on and shuts off again.
Does it sound like I need to change out the compressor?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Does it sound like I need to change out the compressor?
That's what it sounds like. How many amps does it draw? I can't get anything to come up with that model number.

G

Before you condemn the compressor, make sure the condenser coils are clean and the air vents on the sides are not blocked by leaves, dirt, or other debris. Clean the condenser coils with a garden hose by spraying the coils from the back of the air conditioner. Hope that helps!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Jake W. said:
Clean the condenser coils with a garden hose

That will not do anything to help the compressor run. If they can get it running then they can clean the a/c if needed.

JMO

Dan O.

G

It sure will. By their description the compressor is running, overheating, and shutting down. A dirty condenser will cause that.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The OP said, "it just shuts off after a couple of seconds".

It takes a lot longer than a couple seconds for a compressor to overheat from a plugged condenser, 5-10 minutes at least. If the compressor will run for 5 to 15 minutes or more, then cleaning the a/c might be warranted.

There's little use putting in the effort of cleaning if the compressor is faulty.

Dan O.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Dan. If it shuts off after a few seconds of running, condensor is not the problem. Most compressors won't get hot enough to open an overload just from a dirty or blocked condensor. That's why I asked about the amp draw.