• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Microwave - Turntable and Smell

sears_critic

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2006
Messages
3
Location
Earth
Model Number
LRM1260SW
Brand
LG
Age
1-5 years
I noticed a smell like burning plastic coming from the microwave, and it's not from the inside.

Then the turn table stopped working, but the smell persists occasionally.

Could this just be the turntable motor?

Maybe it's time to buy an OHM Meter.

peace
 

wildimaginations

Appliance Tech
Joined
Jun 13, 2011
Messages
632
Location
Danville, California
Hard to say what it would be but if the turntable motor has stopped working, it may be the problem. Remove the access plate at the bottom of the microwave and do a continuity check on the turntable motor. If it's good, test for voltage on the wiring to the turntable motor. You should get 120v. If not, you will need to remove the cover and look further.
 

wildimaginations

Appliance Tech
Joined
Jun 13, 2011
Messages
632
Location
Danville, California
Yes, you can run without the turntable motor. The only problem you will have is uneven cooking. You may have to rotate the dish every 30 seconds to evenly heat everything.
 
Top