• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

FIXED LG microwve will not heat

slammin

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2010
Messages
12
Location
Vancouver
Model Number
LMV1813
Brand
LG
Age
Less than 1 year
My LG LMV1813 microwave is 10 months old and suddenly stopped heating food. It runs and sounds like it's working normally, but food remains cold.
I only paid about $250 for the microwave, so I'm not even sure it's worth fixing. Thanks for your help.

Adam
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
34,398
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Call LG for a warranty service call. It should have a one year warranty.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,822
Location
Ontario, Canada

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,822
Location
Ontario, Canada

slammin

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2010
Messages
12
Location
Vancouver

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,822
Location
Ontario, Canada
Always need to include everything on the model# tag...

serialtag.gif

...not from a manual, bill of sale, etc.

jeff.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,822
Location
Ontario, Canada
Good luck with the repair! :)

jeff.
 

slammin

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2010
Messages
12
Location
Vancouver
Fixed

Good luck with the repair! :)

jeff.
Well, turns out it wasn't the magnetron after all. I read this in the service manual :

"If something is caught in the door or in the sealing
area, the microwave oven cannot operate safely. The
latch switches and monitor switch will prevent
operation."

So I ran the oven and repeatedly opened and closed the door, jiggling the latches and trying to ensure there was complete contact.
The cup of water started boiling so I guess that was the problem. I hope that this may help someone else with the same issue. :)
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,822
Location
Ontario, Canada
Lets hope it stays working a while! :)

It runs and sounds like it's working normally, but food remains cold.
Door switchs -normally- prevent the *normal* noises....like the control is counting down ok but fan, turn table and cooking have quit.

jeff.
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
101,484
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
Thats exactly what I was thinking when I read this thread last night, how could the microwave run with normal sounds and it be the door switches?

Seems there's more to this than meets the eye.

Jake
 

slammin

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2010
Messages
12
Location
Vancouver
Thats exactly what I was thinking when I read this thread last night, how could the microwave run with normal sounds and it be the door switches?

Seems there's more to this than meets the eye.

Jake
haha, well you both were right! I went to heat some food and ...............cold food. So I thought...something is loose. I took it down off the wall, opened it up and
checked all the terminal connections, I found that one of the connections to the transformer was loose and snapped it in all the way. I also tested the magnetron with an ohmmeter and it was fine. I reassembled the case and now it works consistently. ...fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all your input
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,822
Location
Ontario, Canada
I found that one of the connections to the transformer was loose and snapped it in all the way.
That would do that.....some even get loose enough and burn off.

Good catch!

jeff.
 
Top