• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG Range keeps heating beyond the temp set for the oven - to over 500 degrees

darlenev

Premium Member
Model Number
LRE30453ST
Brand
LG
Good Evening,

I set my LG LRE30453ST/01 range to 350 and heard a crackle sound followed by an F9 error code. I cleared the code and shut off the oven but it didn't seem to cool so I shut it down at the breaker. The next day I tried to use the oven - it beeped when it reached the 350 temperature I set - but when I temped the oven a bit later it was over 500 degrees. I turned it off and it did cool down on its own. I looked up the oven on Repair Clinic (love that site BTW!) and it looks like it could need a control board - the oven and broiler both heat and the broiler disengages after the oven reaches the set temperature. I am not sure how to zero in and be sure of what part needs to be replaced.
I may be cooking our Thanksgiving turkey in my electric roaster... :wall: I would appreciate any advice you could offer. Thanks!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The next day I tried to use the oven - it beeped when it reached the 350 temperature I set - but when I temped the oven a bit later it was over 500 degrees

Kinda -sounds- like a relay on the board is sticking/stuck closed keeping one of the elements on when it shouldn't be...

Oven-Control-Board-6871W1N002E-01967725.jpg Oven-Control-Board-6871W1N002E-01967722.jpg Oven Control Board

Probably a good idea to ohm the oven temp sensor also...

Temperature-Sensor-6322B62214A--01057889.jpg Oven sensor

[video=youtube;vWJOLFW2aw0]

jeff.

darlenev

Premium Member
We hired an appliance repair person to take a look at the range for us. It is just so close to a house full of Thanksgiving guests to take a chance. When he tested - the broiler was constantly on with a short in there somewhere. You were right Jeff - it was the relay board!
What I find interesting is even though we tried to carefully check everything - we still thought the broiler was behaving properly. It goes to show that even when it's not "red" it could still be heating improperly - a hard thing to pick out when the whole oven is hot. Love this forum... and thank-you Jeff for your time and expert info.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

darlenev

Premium Member
LG LRE30453ST/01 electric range constantly unable to reach set temperature

I have an LG LRE30453ST/01 range and have had an on-going problem with the oven.

I posted a thread Nov 18th, 2015 about an F9 error code from the oven over-heating. The repairman we hired replaced the relay board and the oven worked for about three weeks – then would not reach set temperature and would give an F7 error code. We were able to use the oven on convection but it took a long time to reach set temperature. Since November 2015 we have replaced that relay SIX times. One of the relays was faulty from the get-go but the rest were replaced under the parts warranty by the repairman. The repair would work for about three weeks and the same problem would re-occur. Bless this repairman for going through this so many times with us.

I have been researching this – something has to be knocking out that relay board - and I came up with this comment to another person having this problem: “Based on your description I'm thinking either the broiler element or something between the element and the relay board is bad, causing that circuit to pull more power through the relay board than the board is rated for.”
What are your thoughts? Once again the oven isn’t working and we replaced the board approx. two weeks ago. Could it be the broiler element? What else could be causing this board to fail?
Thank-you in advance. I am very curious what you think could be causing this!

darlenev

Premium Member
I e-mailed our repairman last night (Mike) to get his response to your question. This is his response: "The first time the broil relay stuck closed and the last 2 times the broil relay would not close. I do not know if it is the coil or the contact that is bad, but I do know that it is only the broil relay."

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
A relay has a small coil that a clock or such powers.
A relay has main contacts that open and close to turn something on or off.
They are two separate systems inside the relay.
Just trying to see if the relay is failing electrically or mechanically.
Weird it is JUST one relay!!

jeff.

darlenev

Premium Member
I can certainly remove the relay board and inspect it... just tell me what to look for. If I am not able to distinguish the problem perhaps I could post some pictures that might help. I would love to solve this and have been considering installing a new broil element just to be sure that isn't the problem. I should say my husband and I - he is the mechanical one - I am the one determined to figure this out!

MarjoF

Premium Member
Hi Darlene and Jeff,

I know this thread is old but we currently are having the exact same problem with our LG oven (LRE5602SS) that you had - a crackle sound followed maybe 30 minutes later by a F9 error code and oven since overheating. It does look like our broil is on (but not red) when oven is on as everything is burning very fast. We ohmed the different electrical parts yesterday and everything seems to be working as it should, including the sensor. We thought we would replace the main control broad (PCB) to see if it fixed the issue but based on this thread we are wondering if we should replace the relay board instead - do you have any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Jeff is taking time off for personal reasons.

The problem is not the main control board, its the relay control board.

Here's the relay control board for your model:
Relay Board 6871W1N012B

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, let us know.

Jake