• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG Range LDG4313 gas smell, flames from convection oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclever

Premium Member
Model Number
LDG4313
Brand
LG
Greetings,

I had an issue with my range and was following a similar thread that is closed for comments:
Since I could not post to that I wanted to share with a new thread.

It appears I have inadvertently fixed ours. It had the same symptoms (smell gas when you come in from outside, flames coming out of the convection vent, and hot spot by the vent).

I decided to pull apart the internal covers to check the igniter, verify the fan spun, etc. I noticed the nut holding the fan on the shaft was loose. I went to tighten it and found it was not righty-tighty, but counter-clockwise tighten (think old Chrysler). I snugged it down but not too tight. I didn't want to break it off. The fan and shaft spun freely.

When I went to put the back internal panel in I noticed the vent grill was a bit mangled. I flattened it back out with the heel of my hand, put it back on, and was going to call a repair person. I came home the next evening and my wife asked if I smelled gas. I told her no. She said the oven was running, and none of the usual issues and she could here the fan run.

My guess is that the main issue was the grill was pushed back to the point of stopping the fan from spinning. Hopefully the fan is keyed to the shaft and the nut is just to keep it on the shaft. My wife uses a pizza stone in the oven. I'm guessing that, or possibly other things, got pushed to the back of the oven and damaged the vent.

Either way, the oven is running with no parts or repair people needed. I didn't even think about the changes I made having any effect. That is why I'm calling it "inadvertently" fixed :)

Hopefully it will help someone else.

Jeff

beverist

Premium Member
I've had a similar problem, but the convection fan is working, runs fine, no resistance or anything. Had the ignitor replaced as well. Flames are coming out the back of the oven, specifically, out of the burner. Flames are normal for most of the burner, but are massive at the very of the burner, which is causing this large flame to enter into the oven cavity.
Any thoughts on this or what needs to be fixed?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Can you take a couple pictures so I can see what you see. And of course you have the same model number??

beverist

Premium Member
Appologies my model is not what is list above (LDG4313) but is the Canadian version of what this thread is referencing (LSD4513ST). My model is LSG5513BD.
I've attached a couple pictures of whats happening. The fan is spinning freely. For additional context, the broiler works fine, the burners work fine.

Attachments

• 20211216_123243.jpg
    20211216_123243.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 20211216_115618.jpg
    20211216_115618.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 117
  • 20211216_115720.jpg
    20211216_115720.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 117

rickgburton

Staff member
Open the air shutter all the way and clean the burner tube holes with a wire brush. Check for any corrosion around the holes.

beverist

Premium Member
Removed the burner assembly. Its really clean. There isn't an adjustable air shutter from what I can see, no piece that will slide to open/close air flow. It does seem like its creating such a large, orange flame out of the burner. Not sure what else to try..

Attachments

• 20211217_111751_remastered.jpg
    20211217_111751_remastered.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20211217_122155_remastered.jpg
    20211217_122155_remastered.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20211217_122207_remastered.jpg
    20211217_122207_remastered.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20211217_122211_remastered.jpg
    20211217_122211_remastered.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 77

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's our main thread on this issue:
Most people have had to replace the convection fan motor and burner and igniter to fix this problem.

Jake

beverist

Premium Member
I appreciate the feedback and help.
The shutter is a single screw hole, it doesnt have a sliding or lengthened slot for the screw to move through to adjust the shutter. It seems like the shutter is either on it or removed entirely. No in between. Am I missing something?

rickgburton

Staff member
No, some burners are like that. It's hard to tell from the picture. Read the thread Jake posted and see it that helps you out.

Livingston

I was following this thread and wanted to share my own experience with model LDG4315 (double oven).
Noticed flames coming thru the grate covering fan in the lower oven a few months ago, gas smell, the grate itself warped on one side due to the heat and the fan was not moving.
I decided to reach out to LG first, and it took me a few weeks to get any reply from them. Finally, after calling and complaining, they scheduled a technician visit.
The guy showed up, managed to restart the fan manually by giving it a little push with a long screwdriver, but the fan was making screeching noises, so he said that the mechanism was worn out and he had to order and replace 'the whole assembly'.
The estimate he gave me was $470. I said 'no, thanks', I'll just use the top oven for now, and then replace the stove.
Luckily, my very smart brother was scheduled to visit us and he fixed it in 20 or 30 minutes.
He ordered fan motor part EAU62343001.
When he took the old motor off, he pointed to a few black spots on it, and said that if he couldn't get the replacement part, he'd simply clean the soot from the old motor, lubricate it, and that might have worked as well.
It's been 3 weeks and everything is working fine.
I have to say I am very disapponted in LG. I understand they need to charge for parts and labor, but $470 seems steep.
Hope this helps somebody!

Status
Not open for further replies.