• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Range LRG3061 Oven Ignitor - Will I Regret This?

CraigF

Premium Member
Model Number
LRG3061
Brand
LG
The igniter on my LG oven needed replacing and I needed to fix it right away. The appliance store had an igniter that would work, but didn't have the right connector. I used ceramic wire nuts to connect but thought a little more support would be needed so there would be no stress where the wires are now connected...so I used electrical tape. I pushed the wires underneath the oven and connected the igniter. Afterward I though, "gee, I wonder how hot it gets? Will the tape burn up, melt, etc?"

Should I go back in and remove the electrical tape?

Thanks,
Craig

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Should I go back in and remove the electrical tape?

If the tape is anywhere near the ignitor or inside the oven area, yes.

The reason ceramic nuts are used is so they don't melt like plastic nuts usually would. Electrical tape would melt even easier.

Dan O.

CraigF

Premium Member
Thanks! The tape is beneath the oven away from the slot where the wires feed up to the igniter.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Is there any heat in the area?

Tape might be ok in the area behind the oven or if there's a solid metal panel and insulation between the heat and the tape.

Dan O.

CraigF

Premium Member
I opened things back up and pulled the wires up. No sign of melting or burning. I'd forgotten there's also a paper tag from the manufacturer on one of the wires. No sign of burning/melting on the paper tag or the electrical tape. I'm pretty confident now that the way things are situated, the tape is OK (hopefully!).