• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Range LRG3081ST/00 Oven Heats up and won't stop at proper temperature

gammj

Premium Member
Model Number
LRG3081ST/00
Brand
LG
So the other night my wife tried to cook something and the smoke alarm went off. I checked the oven and noticed that it seemed quite hot and some of the food was burning. She said it should be set for 350F but the readout was only 345F. I turned it off and then back on and it reverted to 345F. We didn't get the exact actual temperature inside the oven but it was certainly hotter than 345F as it toasted my old oven mitts in the scramble to rescue the food.

Anyway, I further noticed that I could set the bake temperature to basically anything and the indicated temperature would revert to 5 degrees below that (so if we set it to 300, it would indicate 295) and the oven burner remained on and it would just keep heating and heating.

I suspected that perhaps the temperature isn't being read correctly on the temperature sensor or processed correctly on the "User Control and Display Board" EBR73815106. Was that even the right path to start down?

I isolated the temperature sensor and measured it and then measured it again through it's harnessing up to CN04 on the "range/stove/oven relay board" EBR60969206 and it read around 1074 ohms or so. So I guess that eliminates that. After that, I'm not exactly how to proceed other than shelling out the cash to replace one of those two boards in the upper controller area. Is there any way to isolate the problem further? If not, I was leaning towards ordering "User Control and Display Board" EBR73815106, but with zero real experience on this stuff a second opinion would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Do This:
Press the “Clear” key. Press the “BAKE” and “BROIL” key at the same time for 1 second. If there is any error code the display will show it for 2 seconds then show the number of times it occured for 2 seconds. It will alternate between the two every 2 seconds. This is an example for the F-01 error code with one occurrence:
Snapshot_1.jpg

If there is no error code it will look like this:
Snapshot_2.jpg

Set your meter to check continuity and make these two measurements on the power board. Both should show open/no continuity
Snapshot_3.jpg
Snapshot_4.jpg

If either measurement shows any resistance (continuity), replace the power board:
lg-pcb-assy-power-ebr60969206-ap5970785_01_l.jpg

If both measurements check good, replace the main board:

gammj

Premium Member
Thanks, it's late now but I'll have to try that tomorrow.

In the meantime, I did notice earlier today after some further experimenting that the oven actually appears to work normally at lower temperatures (it stops at the set temperature and beeps) whereas it continues on heating up forever at higher temperatures. After trial and error we found that 315F is the highest temperature we can set it where it won't endlessly heat up. If that helps at all...