• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Range LSG4513BD strong gas smell as well as the "discolored" flame visible at the back of the oven where the fan is

csb1237

Premium Member
Model Number
LSG4513BD
Brand
LG
So we have a LSG4513BD range/oven, purchased in 2017. We started having problems with it over a year ago. We have the same strong gas smell that others have complained about in this forum as well as the "discolored" flame visible at the back of the oven where the fan is. We have made several claims through our extended warranty company (purchased at Home Depot) and they have replaced several parts including the ignitor, two circuit control boards and the temperature probe/sensor. The oven still does not function properly.

At one point we actually had an LG tech (driving an LG van and with the uniform) tell us that the gas smell was "normal" and that the unit was operating properly. We continued to complain to the warranty company...not only did we get the gas smell but the temperature in the oven was completely off (by like 12 or 30 degrees).

Anyway, we had another "local" tech come out (not LG) and they smelled the gas and said something was wrong, so they ordered some parts. Turns out LG sent them the wrong part. While he was sitting in front of our disassembled oven, he was on the phone with LG and was told that there was a technical bulletin out for this problem (the gas smell) and that there is a NEW part # for a burner and ignitor that solves this problem (at least for our model). We are currently waiting for the new parts and for the technician to come back and make the final repair. Will update with part #s and if the fix solves the problem.

ksnyder1969

Premium Member
I am having the same issue with flame coming through the back of the oven and strong gas smell!

csb1237

Premium Member
Update. So, our warranty company (Asurion) put in for a "buy-back" from LG, since this couldn't be fixed. Let me repeat: there is no fix from LG for this problem! The local warranty provider called me to try to pressure me into another attempt at a repair, after one of their techs already came out and said it couldn't be fixed (after multiple attempts, this is over the course of a year), so I was pretty abrupt with the guy and told him that THEY needed to sort this out. One tech says it can't be fixed and now you are trying to force me to make an appointment to have it "repaired" yet again? When the guy saw that I wasn't having any more of that crap, he backed off. I heard later (from LG) that they approved the buyback and, low and behold, they paid me back MORE than I paid for the unit when it was new. So we bought a Samsung (never buying LG again). Since we had our kitchen renovated in 2016 and got our appliances in January of 2017 (all LG appliances) we have had to replace the refrigerator (got a GE), the microwave oven (we got another LG) and now, the oven. Only thing left is the dishwasher, but it appears to be working OK still. So contact LG and ask for an appliance buy back, or ask your extended warranty company to initiate a buyback with LG. Asurion is no longer the provider for Home Depot warranties and the new provider is supposed to be better. Asurion was pretty terrible, but in the end (after much complaining) they were able to secure this buyback for us!