• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG Range LSG4513ST Flames from Convection Fan in Back of Oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal827

Premium Member
Model Number
LSG4513ST
Brand
LG
Long story short:

I have flames coming out the back of my oven where the grate is covering the convection fan.

Short story long:

On Thanksgiving, I noticed my turkey was taking much longer than anticipated. It also got close to burnt on the outside. At first I thought it was just bad cooking, then I started smelling something burning, but it wasn't the turkey. Eventually I started noticing the same thing even when cooking just chicken fingers in the oven. Then I realized when I looked in the oven there was a grate covering the fan that was bright orange and a blue and orange flame coming out of the grate fan covering the fan. I have included some pictures, but apparently the grate got so hot it practically melted and got warped. I have seen other issues regarding this where it may have something to do with the fan not circulating. I assume this flame is causing significant temperature variations where the oven thinks it is at a certian temperture but isn't. Finally, I cooked brownies, and they were not done inside but noticed cookef more towards the back.

Any ideas....the unit is about 3 years, so of course out of warranty service. Just had an issue with LG fridge that was 3 years but at least that was a class action lawsuit that LG had to cover. Between these 2 products, it costs nearly $5,000 and I couldn't get more than 3 years out of either. Very disappointing.

Attachments

• 20201205_190557.jpg
    20201205_190557.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 20201205_190554.jpg
    20201205_190554.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 138

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, in my 33 years as a career appliance tech. I have never seen that before.

You will definity need to contact LG at 800-243-0000 to have a tech. come out and see why this is happening.

Also contact the consumer product safety commission and report it: https://www.cpsc.gov/

Jake

Animal827

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! I already called them and explained my concern about the safety issue, but they said it is outside of warranty so I started looking for local talent to repair. I will reach out to them again.

There is another post in this forum related to a different model of LG experiencing the same thing. His issue was the convection fan being stucked, but mine is freely moving. I know there is a horseshoe metal tube with holes where the gas flows through and the flames come out of...I am thinking there is something wrong with the airflow as I checked for clogs and its clean and pristine.

Animal827

Premium Member
Update: Instead if emailing LG again, I called and spoke to a representative who created a work order to have someone come by in 3-5 days. Though the warranty has expired, they are still covering this repair due to safety concerns.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok good, that's great news.(y)

Let us know what the tech finds.:)

Jake

Animal827

Premium Member
Update: LG finally got someone out here today to spend all but 5 minutes to tell me they have to order a part and it will take 3 to 5 days. The guy took the same photos and video I already had and previously offered to LG to save some time, but they said it wasn't needed. They originally told me it would take 3 to 5 days to have repaired but they couldn't even get anyone out here till over two weeks later. So in LG terms of 3 to 5 days, I may be looking at well over a month for this repair. Additionally, I have continually asked for email confirmations instead of phone calls but apparently that is not available (though I had my LG fridge repaired with email confirmations).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the update!

What is the part name and part number they are ordering to fix this problem?

Jake

Animal827

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Wouldn't that be great if LG communicated any of that information to me? I just had an argument with them that they do not communicate at all and simple emails with work order number and status updates would be great. I think the guy said gas burner, but he didn't speak English well. LG promised to send me an email with part number and status of order when the service guy they sent files his report. Once I get any information, I will post it here!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wouldn't that be great if LG communicated any of that information to me?
Yes, that would have been good.

LG promised to send me an email with part number and status of order when the service guy they sent files his report. Once I get any information, I will post it here!
Thanks!

Jake

sawman88

Hello I am having the same problem with my LRG5115ST/00. have been kicked off of hold three times trying to get the warranty company from the brick. my unit is three years old as well. and the smell coming from the oven is overwhelming. I will post if I get any info as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6171.JPG
    IMG_6171.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 83

Animal827

Premium Member
Hello I am having the same problem with my LRG5115ST/00. have been kicked off of hold three times trying to get the warranty company from the brick. my unit is three years old as well. and the smell coming from the oven is overwhelming. I will post if I get any info as well.
Thanks for sharing. I am sorry your experiencing this issue, but it is comforting to know that there are others out there in the same boat. I still have no update, but I will call LG again for update. Outside of promising to fix it, they have been completely useless and refuse to provide any updates blaming it on service center and third party repair services.

Animal827

Premium Member
Update: LG still has not communicated to me any updates on their end or from the visit of the technician they sent. Of course I had to call again, must 5 or 6 times now, and they said they had a technician here on the 15th, which it was the 30th, and then had the audacity to claim the oven was working fine. The technician lied and probably submitted bogus work order to LG.

The name of the technician was SERGEY from LEOTECH SOLUTIONS. This was the man that was here for less than 5 minutes and didn't even know how to start the oven. He insisted I sign his work order, which was all blank, to confirm he made the visit. He said he would order part and be ready in 3 to 5 days. Thankfully, I took a picture of what I signed. He seemed shady from the beginning.

At this point, my conversations with LG are getting more hostile, and eventually the customer service representative provided me with another RNN #. Shockingly, this time I received a text and email within minutes...this is what I have constantly complaining to them about in their lack of communication on previous RNN #. I confirmed that labor and parts are still being covered by LG due to the safety concern.

At this point, my wife is completely frustrated and aggravated by not having a working oven for over a month. She took up Jake's suggestion above and filed a complaint with the consumer product safety commission. She also started blowing them up on Twitter.

I know I am only one customer of LG, but the experience with my refrigerator that was part of a class action lawsuit (which basically highlighted how poorly they responded to a known issue in their fridge) and how LG handled this oven issue truly scares me away from any LG product.

Apologies for the tirade, but I will follow-up with more updates.

russet

I am having exactly the same issue too. Flame at the back of the oven looks identical. The fan seems to move freely. We have had the range 4 years LSG4513BD. Have you had any confirmation on the part that needs replacing?

Animal827

Premium Member
I am having exactly the same issue too. Flame at the back of the oven looks identical. The fan seems to move freely. We have had the range 4 years LSG4513BD. Have you had any confirmation on the part that needs replacing?
Not as of yet. I just got notification that G&G Appliance will be repairing my "washer" on January 22, 2021. I had to reply that it is not a washer and that it is an OVEN. You can't make this stuff up, so hopefully they will still come.
Misery loves company, so I am optimistic that the more issues there are the more attention this gets from LG.

WTB

Premium Member
Hello- I'm glad to find this thread and see that I'm not the only one having this issue! We noticed that on start up our oven smelled very strongly of gas, and we are also now having the flames through the convection fan hole.
Has anyone received any updates?

Animal827

Premium Member
Hello- I'm glad to find this thread and see that I'm not the only one having this issue! We noticed that on start up our oven smelled very strongly of gas, and we are also now having the flames through the convection fan hole.
Has anyone received any updates?
Welcome. Sorry, no updates. I hope to have something by next Friday. The gas smell is probably because there some gas control valve (or something) that is not properly dispersing the gas equally along the back of the oven where the flames (and gas) come out. This may be why we are seeing the flames as well. However, if you haven't noticed, I am not in the field or have any real diagnosis or solution. Still waiting on LG and their contracted service repair center.

Andrew2020

Premium Member
Misery loves company, we have experienced the exact same problem (huge flame in the back and strong smell of gas), adding pictures to provide more color. For additional insight to the thread, we have secondary insurance on our appliances so were able to get a technician out to look at the oven. He took the oven apart and said there were no noticeable "technical problems" and said it was safe to use. He did admit that he was not familiar with the model. Since then we used the oven a few more times and the smell of gas was so strong throughout the house that our eyes watered . Clearly cannot be safe! So we stopped using the oven again and are trying get the insurance company to send another technician to inspect it. For us it is not even the flame (burning our pizzas) that is the main concern, but the strong smell of gas that comes along with it.

This is is clearly a manufacturing defect since appears that at least 5-6 people on this thread alone have the same exact issue. Animal827 thanks for spearheading this issue with LG and keeping everyone updated on your progress, but what else should we be doing?

Animal827 think what your wife has been doing is perhaps the more actionable next steps. She have any luck with twitter? For the product safety commission should we sign on to her submission or submit another complaint around this? Happy to help start escalating this, as clear a safety issue with a defective LG product.

Attachments

• 20201230_202354.jpg
    20201230_202354.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210116_171403.jpg
    20210116_171403.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210116_171411.jpg
    20210116_171411.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Animal827

Premium Member
Misery loves company, we have experienced the exact same problem (huge flame in the back and strong smell of gas), adding pictures to provide more color. For additional insight to the thread, we have secondary insurance on our appliances so were able to get a technician out to look at the oven. He took the oven apart and said there were no noticeable "technical problems" and said it was safe to use. He did admit that he was not familiar with the model. Since then we used the oven a few more times and the smell of gas was so strong throughout the house that our eyes watered . Clearly cannot be safe! So we stopped using the oven again and are trying get the insurance company to send another technician to inspect it. For us it is not even the flame (burning our pizzas) that is the main concern, but the strong smell of gas that comes along with it.

This is is clearly a manufacturing defect since appears that at least 5-6 people on this thread alone have the same exact issue. Animal827 thanks for spearheading this issue with LG and keeping everyone updated on your progress, but what else should we be doing?

Animal827 think what your wife has been doing is perhaps the more actionable next steps. She have any luck with twitter? For the product safety commission should we sign on to her submission or submit another complaint around this? Happy to help start escalating this, as clear a safety issue with a defective LG product.

My wife said she has an issue submitting the form to product safety, but she will be following up this week. As for Twitter, they were more responsive, they said they would file a complaint with product and safety within LG. Also, they are sending a request to safety product liability. They used our photos as evidence, but it seems its all internal at LG. They gave us a CNN reference numbers which is slightly different than the RNN number we got for the repair. Maybe C is for complaint and R is for repair.

I suggest reaching out to Twitter yourself with the photos and any information regarding your experience with insurance and technician. If my wife get the complaint through to government, I will let you know.

Animal827

Premium Member
G&G APPLIANCE service came to the house today. At first, they seemed not to want to do the repair for safety and liability concerns. However, after he called LG they identified this issue as a common issue. They claim it has something to do with the convection fan. I could have sworn I confirmed that was still working/turning, but apparently, when the guy was here the fan did not turn on for Bake or Convection setting.

He said he needs to order 3 parts (fan, igniter, and something else). I did not get anything in writing yet, but when I do I will share part numbers.

More to come...looks like I will be entering into February without a working oven since November. I suggest everyone that comes to forum to file complaint on CPSC website and maybe with enough complaints LG will take this more seriously...as they did with the class action lawsuit against their linear compressor refrigerators.

Reactions: WTB
Status
Not open for further replies.