• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG Range LSG4513ST Flames from Convection Fan in Back of Oven

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear they are making progress on getting this resolved, slowly but shirley.

It looks like the convection fan is running in @sawman88 Photo, but its NOT a close up shot of his convection fan, so can't be 100% it is on his in post #10:
Maybe he can verify if his convection fan is running when the flames are coming out.

Thanks for the Update on the Parts!

Jake

WTB

Premium Member
Hi All,
I had a local appliance tech out this morning to look at my oven. He called the LG line, went through a bunch of tests per their instructions, and they diagnosed that the "board" was bad. The board is not telling the fan is to come on anymore.
New part should be here next week, I will update once it is installed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What is the part number of that board the tech. ordered?

Jake

WTB

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I'm not sure, when he comes back to install it next week I will get the information. My work order just says "board" with my serial number and product code.

Animal827

Premium Member
My wife finally was able to complete the report on CPSC. So that is at least 2 reports from this forum. I am not sure what this will do, but I can only hope that this highlights the serious defect and safety concern.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good!

Jake

Andrew2020

Premium Member
Following up on my earlier post, we had another technician come and inspect the oven. He told us the issue is the "fan motor", unfortunately did not get the specific part detail. This technician seemed more competent and had mentioned that he has seen this issue before.... so hoping this fixes it. Will keep everyone posted. Expecting a 1-2 week turnaround.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Andrew, sounds good, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake

Andrew2020

Premium Member
Hi everyone, update here. Technician came and replaced the fan motor (sorry wasn't there to get more details). But now the oven works great, no flames from the back and no smell of gas. Used it 3 or 4 times and no issues to flag yet. Conclusion: resolution is to fix the fan/fan motor. Good luck!

Animal827

Premium Member
Andrew, I am happy for you, as well as very jealous.

I had my technician her yesterday. Originally, 3 parts were ordered but LG only sent 2. The Burner Assembly was left out.

The technician replaced the fan motor but was also replacing the Ignitor. However, the flame damage in the oven warped screws and brackets. LG only sent the Ignitor, but no screws or bracket.

So I now need to wait another two weeks. My oven is just full of pieces and screws at this point. At best I am looking at an oven possibly working in March when it has been broken since November.

This may have been said already, but apparently, this is a known issue with LG ovens. The technician was shocked that this was LG's response...flames coming out of the back of the oven!

PBeiter

I am having same problem with my 4+ year old convection oven M# LRG4115ST. In addition, the internal oven light stopped working at the exact same time as we started noticing the strong smell of gas and that food was cooking unevenly (more in the back of the oven). The light is on the left side of the rear oven wall and it is the left side that has the very large blue flame extending up and out of the fan area on the rear wall of the oven. These LG clowns are something else. The light is $55 to replace because the glass dome cover will not screw off. So you have to break it and then replace the entire lamp assembly. Waiting for my initial service appointment on Feb 22. I will certainly share the info provided by the posters here with my technician.

Animal827

Premium Member
Another Update: LG apparently now sent the burner assembly with the brackets and screwed, so for the first time the technician actually had all parts.

Of course, something else would go wrong. He broke the ignitor since he tried to put it on after the burner assembly and apparently you need to put it on beforehand, which is not really obvious at first.

Now we are waiting another 2 weeks for LG to send another ignitor, brackets and screws. I have to say that I am not highly confident that this will all work, and even if it does, I have a strong fear for safety and reliability of the other parts. At this point my oven has been taken apart 3 or 4 times, and the frustration on the technician is clearly visible.

Again, LG considers this issue to be common, but of the 5 or 6 other appliance repair places I contacted before said that they have no idea of this issue.

Still crossing my fingers...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Of course, something else would go wrong. He broke the ignitor since he tried to put it on after the burner assembly and apparently you need to put it on beforehand, which is not really obvious at first.
Oh my Gosh! If the tech. had proper training it would be obvious.:)

This is getting ridiculous, LG has so many problems with appliances its not even funny. They should stick with making TV's and cell phones, which they are actually good at. LOL

Look at this major lawsuit of their refrigerator compressors:

Jake

WTB

Premium Member
So... I fired my repair guy. The board he ordered showed up and was the wrong part. After over a month of him not returning calls or emails with a status, he told me he was losing money on this job. So I said he could give a refund and I'd never call him again. He wanted to keep part of the money for shipping costs, told him his or his suppliers screw up was not my problem and I wanted a check in my mailbox for my payment in full. It was here when I got home from work.

Called LG who gave us another local-ish company who came out and diagnosed the fan and igniter. Parts have been ordered. I'll update later.

BOY...I really miss my oven.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, glad you fired that tech!

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

josephmo

I have the same issue. It started out a few weeks ago. At first I thought the shooting flames may be a normal thing, but then I started smelling gas and then eventually the fan died and the digital temperature indicator does not seem to be working, even when I set it on bake.

I called LG and after about 45 minutes on the phone, they said their systems were down, and asked if they can call me back. They finally texted saying they're looking for a service provider, and that person may have to do multiple visits. I pointed them to this thread, and said that this is a known issue and I do not want to play the multiple visits game.

csb1237

Premium Member
So we have a LSG4513BD range/oven, purchased in 2017. We started having problems with it over a year ago. We have the same strong gas smell that others have complained about in this forum as well as the "discolored" flame visible at the back of the oven where the fan is. We have made several claims through our extended warranty company (purchased at Home Depot) and they have replaced several parts including the ignitor, two circuit control boards and the temperature probe/sensor. The oven still does not function properly.

At one point we actually had an LG tech (driving an LG van and with the uniform) tell us that the gas smell was "normal" and that the unit was operating properly. We continued to complain to the warranty company...not only did we get the gas smell but the temperature in the oven was completely off (by like 12 or 30 degrees).

Anyway, we had another "local" tech come out (not LG) and they smelled the gas and said something was wrong, so they ordered some parts. Turns out LG sent them the wrong part. While he was sitting in front of our disassembled oven, he was on the phone with LG and was told that there was a technical bulletin out for this problem (the gas smell) and that there is a NEW part # for a burner and ignitor that solves this problem (at least for our model). We are currently waiting for the new parts and for the technician to come back and make the final repair. Will update with part #s and if the fix solves the problem.