• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LFC24770ST/03 Freezer Door Coating

KSRaider55

Premium Member
Model Number
LFC24770ST/03
Brand
LG
Hello, I am new to the site and need some advise. My parents gave me a 2 year old LG fridge because their new home had a brand new one in it.
Anyway, I noticed some bad scuff marks on the freezer (see pics) and realized the freezer has an adhesive clear "tape" (see photos). It is NOT the clear plastic coating normally wrapped around SS or appliance glass. In order for the scuffs to be removed, the film has to be removed since the scuffs are in the plastic and not the steel. Can this coating be removed and polished out?
I have an arsenol of polishes, waxes, compounds and adhesive removers for car paint, but not sure what I can use if I take that off.
I have only owned a stainless toaster and welded industrial stainless steel, so I am very new to this. Thank you for direction.

Attachments

• 20220313_182704.jpg
    20220313_182704.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220313_182656.jpg
    20220313_182656.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 87

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
KSRaider55 said:
It is NOT the clear plastic coating normally wrapped around SS or appliance glass.

How do you know that? To me it looks like plastic wrap except around the handle where it couldn't be installed or removed if installed. That wrap can become impossible to remove if left on too long. I've seen it frequently.

All panels should be the same. Do the others have that film?

BTW. I looked up the replacement part and it shows the same protective film. The film does NOT extend all the way to the lower edge so I really doubt it is supposed to remain on the panel.

Door-ADD73956014-01886606.jpg
LINK > Door Panel # ADD73956014

I don't know any way to remove it now. You could try a plastic polish to make the plastic finish better. We've had good success with Novus polishes on harder plastics.

LINK > Novus Plastic Polish

If it's unacceptable, the outer door panel might need to be replaced. Hopefully the new panel's finish will match the other doors. Be sure to remove any protective film.

Maybe others will give their experience as well.

Dan O.

KSRaider55

Premium Member
Thank you very much for the reply.
The film on the freezer is more of a lazer cut clear protective coating like you find on the cab corners and rockers of a new truck with adhesive on the back.
However, with what you're saying, I totally understand. I called my parents to double check and waiting on their call back.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Maybe it was extra heavy duty shipping protection because of the expensive material beneath? I really can't see a final finish being applied on only part of the panel.

I did look up its owner's manual but it didn't specifically tell of the wrap. Maybe see if LG has an installation video on YouTube, etc. that might show it?

Good luck!

Dan O.

KSRaider55

Premium Member
Talked to my mom yesterday (she has a better memory LOL) and she told me my dad said "maybe we should leave this bottom one on. It might help protect it from the pets 🤦‍♂️)
Thanks for the info. Im going to research polishing SS.
Thanks for the advice.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.