• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LFD22786ST not cooling

Allan55

Premium Member
Model Number
LFD22786ST
Brand
LG
Hi All.

Our LG issue is similar to the other. When to take ice cream of our the freezer compartment on the bottom and everything was soft in the compartment.

We have not codes, alarms, errors showing anywhere. I read some of the commons on this forum and tried some of the test on the board at the back of the fridge (3 levels of testing) all was fine.

This fridge which is less than 3 years old (in use in our home; actual manufactured in 2018) is now in the shed. I want to try and repair it for resale to to off set the cost of the new Samsung we had to purchase.

Again without any codes or errors showing, I have no idea where to start with part replacements The compressor was warm but not hot.

HELP please.

Allan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the compressor is running and its not cooling properly, then its most likely a faulty compressor, LG has been plagued with this issue for years now.

You'd need to remove the back panel inside the freezer and check the frost pattern of your evaporator coil.

Look at these photos below, the very bottom photo is the way a NORMAL FROST PATTERN will look.

Frost Patterns.jpg

Allan55

Premium Member
Thank you so much Jake ... This is GREAT information.

I will plug the fridge in and give it a day to get up to normal run condition.

From what I can recall, the coil looked like it was in the state as portrayed in the top right handed picture, pointing to a compressor failure. "If" the is the case, based on your expertise, (1) is there after market compressors I can purchase which are more reliable? (2) Does the cost to purchase and install new a compressor out way a resale?

Again, thanks so much for the information,
Allan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
From what I can recall, the coil looked like it was in the state as portrayed in the top right handed picture, pointing to a compressor failure. "If" the is the case, based on your expertise, (1) is there after market compressors I can purchase which are more reliable? (2) Does the cost to purchase and install new a compressor out way a resale?
There might be aftermarket compressors, but the compressor horsepower rating must match the original compressor.

Yes, the cost to have a compressor installed, parts and labor, usually will cost more to fix than its worth.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.