• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LFX25974ST/01 Making/Dumping clumped ice

DeereT

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX25974ST/01
Brand
LG
Thank you in advance for anyone that is willing to assist me! 🙂 I did look at other posts on this forum but couldn't match anything up to my issues. SN is 204KRGG2Z631.

Issue: Consistent clumping of ice in bucket & water puddles up on top panel of freezer door.

Troubleshooting done:

Turned off ice maker for a day.
Fan turns on when both top door buttons are pushed in.
No leaks found in pre cooling tank on left door bottom area.
Freezer temp is 0 degrees F on front panel, Fridge temp is 37
I turned Freezer down to -2 degrees and Fridge to 35 with no resolution
Digital thermometer inside fridge read 37.2 degrees
If ice maker is left to run overnight, it will make ice for about 2 cycles and then clump up in tray so bad that it
needs to thaw out to loosen it to drop and there is 2 or 3 clumps of ice in the bucket.
There will be water on the top panel of freezer door and water on the floor that I would call excessive.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Put the digital thermometer in the ice maker compartment and see what it reads after 1 hour. It needs to be below 5 degrees to make ice properly and consistently.

Here's the 12 cube ice maker for your model:
AEQ72910411 Ice Maker Assembly,kit

Here's the 14 cube ice maker for your model with the 3 wires at the secondary (smaller) wire connector:
AEQ73110203 Ice Maker Assembly,kit

If your original 14 cube ice maker has a 6 wire connector, order part number AEQ73110205. Verify your connector before ordering.

Jake

DeereT

Premium Member
So I gave it over 2 hours. It's only 16.3 degrees in the bucket. How could a faulty ice maker assembly cause a high bucket temperature?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The ice maker itself is NOT causing the higher temperature, something else is. I just posted the ice makers above in case your temperature was below 5 degrees.

You possibly have a blockage in the cold air duct, from the freezer compartment, that chills the ice maker.

I'm not that familiar with the duct run on LG refrigerators, so its best to contact LG to come out at 1-800-243-0000 to see what's going on because your freezer temperature is good, since you mentioned it was 0 degrees. Did you confirm that with your freezer thermometer?

One possibility is the ice maker fan is not running or its running slow and causing this problem.

The ice maker fan only comes with the freezer back panel grille assembly.

Here it is for your model:
lg-grille-assembly-fan-aeb73944701-ap5692110_01_l.jpg

Jake

DeereT

Premium Member
Thanks for the info Jake! So when your doors are open and you push in both switches which fan turns on then?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That I don't know without seeing the schematic.

Jake