• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LFX25978ST - In door icemaker not getting water

chipster314

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX25978ST
Brand
LG
Hello I have a LG LFX25978ST

I am not getting any water to the icemaker. Brand new filter(off brand). Water dispenser works great. I changed out dual valve for the ice and water that is in the door as I was getting voltage to the valve but no water out. Still the same issue. If I poor water into the ice maker tray, it will freeze and make cubes and dump them .

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you check both water inlet valves, you have two on this model.

You have a dual water inlet valve in the left door as well.

To access, open the left door and there is a removable panel at the bottom of the door. Remove the one screw holding it and push the left side of the panel to unsnap the panel from it's mount. There will be a dual water valve there.

Here it is for your model: (part # MJX41869202) which feeds the water dispenser and the ice maker.

Jake

chipster314

Premium Member
That's the valve I change already, the one on the door. Like I said I get 120v to valve. I even disconnected outlet water line from valve and no water comes out. Unless the new valve is defective as well.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Since you already replaced the secondary water inlet valve in the door, then its most likely the primary water inlet valve in the back of your unit.

There are two water valves, primary and secondary. You're looking at the primary valve and water shouldn't have any water flowing through it unless the coil has 120 Volts AC. When voltage is applied the appropriate coil opens and water flows through the valve and through the water filter to the secondary valve. At the same time, voltage is also applied to the appropriate solenoid on the secondary valve. The secondary valve has one line in and two lines out, one for ice maker and one for dispenser.

To check it use a multimeter set on the Volts AC scale. Remove the water valve mounting screws in the back of the unit so you can work on it. Determine which solenoid is the ice maker and insert your test leads into the back of the two wire connector on the solenoid. Cycle the ice maker and measure the volts when it calls for water. Your multimeter should read 120 Volts AC.

If no water comes out of the water valve when 120 Volts AC is applied, you have a bad water valve in back and will need to be replaced.

Here's the primary water inlet valve in the back of your unit for your model:
Water Inlet Valve AJU72992601

Jake

chipster314

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.
Just an FYI, licensed electrician here. I get water to the dispensor so this is telling me the primary valve and the secondary water valve(front one of the 2 valves in the door) are working.. When applying voltage using a cheater with spade connectors on it and apply it to the ice maker valve portion and have the wife operate the watet dispensor (door switch cheated out) I get water at dispensor but no water coming out the the ice valve. I disconnected the line as well going up to the ice maker. Has me baffled.

Thanks
Seems unlikely but maybe the new valve is faulty as well 🤷🏻

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is very odd, I'm puzzled as well then, contact the place where you got the new water inlet valve at and have them send you another new one.

Other than that you'd need to contact LG to come out and see what's going on.

Jake