• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG refrigerator LFX25991ST/02 no ice no water ER 1F

Djbarnett

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX25991ST/02
Brand
LG
A few weeks ago, the refrigerator started making a loud noise, presumably when the fan was on (didn't know which one). This went on for 3 days and then I noticed it just stopped. Yay! Too soon to celebrate as several days after that, no more ice or water and nothing on the display to left of water/ice dispensing area worked - only showed ER 1F. When I hit the reset button to left of cube tray, it cycled around, filled with water and seemed to operate properly, so I concluded no frozen water line. There also was never water on floor and both freezer and fridge seem to be working fine. I unplugged the fridge and when I started it up again, voila, all worked again (of course, there was no ice yet). The display showed temp in fridge and freezer, no error codes and the water dispenser worked. However, after a short time, before more ice could be made, the error codes reappeared and no more water.
After reading many similar stories, it sounds like the ice maker fan motor - do you agree? I don't want to empty the freezer until I have the part so I haven't attempted that yet. Thanks in advance - this blog is a godsend.
PS - I bought the house with this LG refrigerator and I know you guys don't recommend either LG and Samsung. Any brands you would recommend when next I need to replace?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Er IS is an Ice Sensor error. Make sure all the connections are tight. Locate the CON5 connector on the main board and measure the resistance across the two dark blue wires. If it's shorted (0 Ω) replace the sensor. If it's open (∞ Ω) replace the refrigerator.
Snapshot_2.jpg
Snapshot_3.jpg

Djbarnett

Premium Member
The error code is ER 1F - hard to tell if the ch"1" (number) or an "I" (letter). It's definitely an error code. You guys have commented on it several times in this blog.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take everything out of the freezer. Depending on the model, some had to remove the drawer slide rails and some do not.

The back wall panel is just held on by snaps, no screws. Grab hold and pull firmly. Do not pull all the way out till you disconnect the wires behind the wall. Once out, IMMEDIATELY check the ice maker fan which on the left side of the wall panel to see if it moves freely. If it is hard to turn, you have ice inside the motor and it must be replaced. If you see ice inside the fan blades, you may be able to save it by just melting the ice and reinstalling it.

Here's the Ice maker fan motor assembly for your model:
ABA72913413 Bracket Assembly,motor

I found it ER IF:

Screenshot 2021-12-03 10.29.20.png

Jake

Djbarnett

Premium Member
One question - in visual #1 above, where is that reset button? I know where the one in ice maker is, but not sure where this one is. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It should be on the main control board, which should be located behind its cover on the back exterior wall of the refrigerator.

Jake