• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG Refrigerator LFX28968ST Not Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

home4sale2

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX28968ST
Brand
LG
Been reading stuff here and youtubing and recalling a problem I had with my whirlpool where I replaced the thermister. I can't seem to find the service manuals to confirm but what should the resistance be for my compressor (the three pins and each combination)? If I read somewhere correctly, my compressor should show reading on one at 7.5 ohms (I’m getting 9.1) and zero with the other two. Do they mean no resistance (short) or infinite resistance?

I am getting 9.1 ohms on two pins while the other two combinations show 1 on my multimeter which is infinite. My compressor is LG FLA075LANA.

Also, I plan to replace the starter relay (the whole kit), figured it's worth a try. To be sure, I didn't bother with any tests on this harness, just plan on trying a new one. And the reason I want to do this is because when I do diags off the PCB, I get error 22 on the display which seems to point to this problem. The only thing is I don't hear the compressor clicking on and off but hey why not, before I recycle this heap.

If the compressor test is pointing to a bigger problem already then all of this is a moot point. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

home4sale2

Premium Member
I am sure I didn't stump you fine folks, lots of views and no responses. Let me try again with the latest, hope to receive some help and thank you in advance.

So, I did find out 22 22 points to a generic problem. Replacing the thermistor kit didn't help.
I took apart the assembly towards the back of the fridge. It is insulated with Styrofoam and if Pry it, I can see that it has a motorized door in the open position and yet I was getting no air. The fan in the freezer section is moving but I don't feel any air coming into the fridge, the air only blows into the freezer. Regardless, even if there's a vent issue, I should be getting cold air in the freezer and I am not, it's room temperature so my problem must be somewhere else. Correct?

Should I still open up the freezer section towards the back (assuming that's where my evap coils are on this fridge) and check if it's getting frost? Again, I doubt this is where my problem is but I am willing to.

Are there two thermistors in the box itself, fridge and freezer on this unit? I didn't find anything in the fridge section.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the compressor is running and the freezer is only room temperature, then you have a sealed system problem, most likely the compressor, as LG refrigerators are very prone to compressor failures.

Jake

home4sale2

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for your response. Also, I have learned a lot more about this refrigerator in the process. In general,

1. don't believe the code 22 22 as evidence of a bad board. It's a generic error. The board is fine, the capacitor(s) on it were fine, the voltage it supplied to the compressor is fine.
2. The start relay is on the board (not near the compressor, it does have a thermal shutoff though near it). Again, I tested the thermistor kit, it was not bad
3. The air coming out of the top vent in the back of the refrigerator is a small volume of air so removing it to check anything was a waste of time. I expected a lot of airflow and it isn't when it works right
4. The air coming out of the freezer vent was more substantial
5. Looking back, thinking a thermistor was bad in the fridge or freezer compartment was bad logic on my part, they were fine and not the root cause
6. The high side (to the right of the compressor) did get very hot for the first 24 hours as the compressor tried its best to bring it from room temps to fridge/freezer temps. I wouldn't be surprised if it shut off for an hour or two to cool down. The temps slowly trended down and now it feels like it did when we first got it. The compressor is warm to the touch when running.

Thanks for the admin staff on this forum, you guys do good work.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did LG replace your compressor?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wonderful, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status