• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LFX289785T00 - Fridge and freezer not cooling right

cmehta99

Premium Member
Hello,
I have an LG refrigerator, Model - LFX289785T00 was purchased on 8/27/2010. It's out of 10 yr compressor warranty and I checked it is not covered in the class-action lawsuit. It started having the exact same problem that is described by Roaddog259. I called a well-known local appliance repair store and they declined to even come and look at it as soon as I told them it is LG.

I reviewed a few blog posts and youtube videos. After that I pulled out the refrigerator and checked the fan in the back is running, the drain is not clogged, the drip tray had water, no dust on the condenser coils, the fan in the freezer is running blowing cold (not very cold) air, when the french doors are open but I press both light switches on the top of the doors the fan in the fridge is also running.. (again air is not cold enough). The compressor is humming and is not hot.
Food is "not" getting spoilt although the frozen food in the freezer had to be taken out as it started thawing. We set the temperature to -6 and 33 in the freezer and fridge respectively. (I might need to get the thermometer that Jake referred to in another post).
I also went through test/reset process using the instructions in this video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70y61Sq_NU0&t=188s

After 2nd step it showed error 22. and after the 3rd step, there were no LED blink morse codes on the PCB (3:37 in the video).

Per the experience from the owner on this video (
) - Error 22 is related to the Relay... which fixed his issue. But some comments on his video indicated otherwise, which may be due to the model.

So before I order the part and try that I wanted to get inputs here. Many blogs I read mention that it could just be the compressor, but the writers may or may not know the best.

Advice from professionals on this forum will be very helpful.

Thank you,
Chirag

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The compressor is humming and is not hot.
If the compressor is humming and vibrating then its running, and since its not cooling properly in the freezer, then you have a sealed system problem, not a relay problem.:)

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Time to go refrigerator shopping.:)

The average life of refrigerators is only 8-12 years.

Jake

cmehta99

Premium Member
Hi Jake, Thank you for the prompt response. Only if this situation would have happened a week before, I would have been able to shop during Thanksgiving or Cyber-Monday sales. 😢
If you or anyone else who is reading this and has any suggestion on where's the best place to buy a new (no more LGs) one, please let me know. -Chirag

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Try a local appliance store in your area, or Lowe's, Home Depot, Best Buy.

Jake

cmehta99

Premium Member
Hi Jake, we started looking for a new refrigerator in Dec, and while we were doing that the freezer started working and a couple weeks later it looked like freeze is also working. So I got refrigerator thermometers and put them in the refrigerator and freezer. It's been 3 months and attached are the pictures of the temperature in both areas. The amount of food that we have been putting in there is lesser than earlier just to avoid all of it from getting spoiled if it stops working again. It wasn't overloaded earlier but could it be a factor? Have you or anyone else on the forum seen this kind of situation? I am not sure if I should start shopping for one again. Any advice? Thank you

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 13

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It wasn't overloaded earlier but could it be a factor?
No, what we recommend is taking a photo of the evaporator coil in the freezer so we can see the frost pattern on it.

The very bottom photo below is what a NORMAL EVAPRATOR FROST PATTERN SHOULD LOOK LIKE:

Frost Patterns.jpg