• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LFX28978SW compressor issue

Dorian Gilbert

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX28978SW
Brand
LG
Good day, have owned an LG LFX28978SW for the last nine years fantastic fridge layout with ice maker in door. Leaves plenty room inside, the only problem has been the linear compressor issue. The first was under warranty but the second happened after five years and had to pay 650.00 for the labor. The compressor still covered but not labor . Was thinking perhaps time for new, looked at many and still find LG layout best for my needs. I need to know if the new 28.6 units are employing a new updated linear compressor or should look for a different brand. Thank you, Dorian

home4sale2

Premium Member
The guy I spoke with recently (see my post as well) said that the new compressors were 2 years old. Bottom line, not enough data to really know about their longevity. I have a whirlpool that is over 20 years old in my garage and I fired it up temporarily as we look to replace and it's still so cold!!! However, I don't know any company that makes them like that anymore. I fixed that refrigerator once for a part that cost me $20, it's a workhorse.

What did you end up buying?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
LG refrigerators are crap. LG linear compressors are crap. The warranty on the linear compressor is crap. No one wants to work on LG refrigerators because they're crap. I stopped working on LG machines over a year ago. It's not worth all the frustration.

home4sale2

Premium Member
Is there anything that runs forever anymore other than my 20 year old Whirlpool unit that cost me less than a grand, dispensed water and ice with no touchscreens doodahs? I am not looking for that but at least give me 10 years of joy and then break so I can go buy another one, end of rant.

Rickgburton, are GEs or Whirlpool still good units? Kitchenaid which is a glorified Whirlpool? If LG are crap, what's good these days? I am in market for a new one because our LG crapped out after 8 years and it will take over $1200 to fix (under warranty).

Raulr

Premium Member
Is there anything that runs forever anymore other than my 20 year old Whirlpool unit that cost me less than a grand, dispensed water and ice with no touchscreens doodahs? I am not looking for that but at least give me 10 years of joy and then break so I can go buy another one, end of rant.

Rickgburton, are GEs or Whirlpool still good units? Kitchenaid which is a glorified Whirlpool? If LG are crap, what's good these days? I am in market for a new one because our LG crapped out after 8 years and it will take over $1200 to fix (under warranty).
Every refrigerator with Embraco compressor will be good - Whirlpool, Kitchenaid are going to be the best for its money.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Today the life of a refrigerator is 8 to 10 years because of all the electronics. It's all about saving energy. If you listen to the experts, (ex is a has been, spurt is a drop of water under pressure) an analog refrigerator that lasts 16 years costs the same as 2 new machines that last 8 years if you factor in the cost of energy.

Whirlpool is Kitchen Aid, Maytag, Estate, Ikea, Roper, Jennair, and they just barely missed purchasing GE appliance. That purchase goes to Haier. GE appliances is now owned by Haier. Stay away from LG and Samsung. Sears is gone so no more Kenmores. Frigidaire and Electrolux is the same. No manufacturer makes a perfect machine. Just be sure to do your homework before purchasing a new machine.