• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LFXC24726S fridge/freezer just stopped working

Dszerlag

Premium Member
Model Number
LFXC24726S
Brand
LG
I have a question about whether I am being scammed. The fridge/freezer just stopped working. I had been well aware that there were problems with the compressor. I spoke to LG and without hesitation they said that the compressor was under warranty and they would send someone out. Service tech came and inspected. He agreed compressor was shot but also the fresh food evaporator needed replacement as well. Compressor cover but repairs were going to be 892.00. He claimed this is a "well documented" problem and happens all the time. Sounds to me that someone is trying to boost income on their service calls. Am I too cynical??

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
All I can tell you is, there's a lot of unscrupulous repair companies out there. I don't have enough information to try and second guess your tech, especially when it comes to sealed systems. Well documented doesn't sound right unless it's an internal thing. Lots of compressor documents but I haven't seen anything on refrigerator evaporators. Why the FF evaporator and not the FZ evaporator? If it's because of a leak in the evaporator then why the compressor?
Sounds to me that someone is trying to boost income on their service calls
Sounds like it.
Am I too cynical??
Nope!

Dszerlag

Premium Member
Thank you for the reply. As I said it seems very suspicious to me. I also asked for a detailed estimate and have yet to receive it. The problem is that this company was who LG sent to the house for the "warranty" work. The company I ususally use will not do any LG compressor work. Another question. If I keep the parts he removes will there be any way to have the FF evaporator checked to see if it was really not functioning??

rickgburton

Staff member
I also asked for a detailed estimate and have yet to receive it.
You probably won't get one. Most appliance repair companies now use a flat rate for sealed system repair costs. For example; I charge a flat rate $750 for a compressor replacement. Factored into that charge is parts, labor, shop supplies, oxy-acetylene, brazing rods, flux, copper tubing, filter/drier, service valve, R134a refrigerant, compressor oil, specialized tools etc; etc.
If I keep the parts he removes will there be any way to have the FF evaporator checked to see if it was really not functioning??
Here's the deal; If you pay for the part, the old part is yours. If a part is replaced under warranty, the old part belongs to them. Warranty parts are sent back to the manufacturer. The evaporator doesn't have any moving parts. Its purpose is to supply an area of low pressure for the refrigerant to boil and expand. If there's a leak in the evaporator it's usually replaced because of the difficulty brazing/welding aluminum tubing.
The company I ususally use will not do any LG compressor work.
That's becoming the norm now. Very few appliance repair companies want to do any sealed system repairs on LG and Samsung refrigerators. Some repair companies won't work on LG or Samsung machines, period. I'm one of them. One of the reasons for doing warranty work for any manufacturer is the use of their logo in their advertising. Another reason for doing warranty work is you become an authorized service center. The days of the yellow pages is long gone. Now when your LG appliance breaks there's a customer service number you can call on the model tag. If you're an authorized service center you're on the list.
the problem is that this company was who LG sent.......
Warranty work pays very little from the manufacturer. Sometimes it doesn't even cover the costs of the repair. They figure it's a push for using their logo. Back in the 90's the manufacturer would send you the part and pay you a flat labor rate of $75 to install it. It doesn't matter if it's a light bulb or compressor.

So, here's what you end up with. You have a service company willing to work on LG refrigerators when more and more companies won't. They're willing to do warranty work even though it doesn't pay much. To make any money they need to be creative. Read into that what you will. LOL

Dszerlag

Premium Member
Thanks Again Rick,
you have provided a great deal of insight into this,. I did get a verbal estimate with part numbers and cost. The cost figures included the labor charge. I was told the compressor is under warranty but labor to install is 117.00. The FF evaporator 130.00 and 260.00 to install. There was a filter that was 85.00 and 32.00 for Freon. There was an additional 167.00 that no one could explain, I'm thinking it must be tax and probably some misc items perhaps. I was told that this is a 4 hour job to install. So I guess I'm going to have to deal with creative though I will call LG as well for what little good it probably will do.

rickgburton

Staff member
Did you ask why the evaporator? Make sure they instal the new software after replacing the compressor.

rickgburton

Staff member
LOL.... If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull-shit ! Been there, done that.
30x28.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL Rick, that is so true!!!

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
The evaporator is made of aluminum. Coincidently, so are boats. Your refrigerator has two evaporators and both are connected to the compressor. Both evaporators are made from the same material. Ask him why he doesn't need to replace both evaporators.