• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LFXC24726S - Not Making Ice

blbills

Premium Member
Model Number
LFXC24726S
Brand
LG
I've got an LG fridge that is not making ice. I've tried everything in the youtube videos that I can find and everything checks out as fine.

When I run the manual ice cycle by poking the recessed button with a paperclip the entire cycle of the ice maker works. Sometimes when the armature is scooping the ice out of the tray it looks like the ice is stuck (verified by my fingers) so the armature struggles a bit but it eventually knocks them free.

This has been an on/off problem for the last year or so. Fridge is about 3 years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

What's the temperature in the ice maker compartment? If it's below 10 degrees F. at all times, then it's your ice maker itself that is bad, seen this many times on my service calls.

Here's the ice maker for model you can order:
AEQ73130004 Ice Maker

This video shows you the general idea of how to replace the ice maker:

Jake

blbills

Premium Member
Thanks Jake!

I need to find the thermistor to my Fluke to verify temp. Should I place it in the ice compartment for the reading or try to get it as close to the ice production as possible?

Another datapoint--I put a water bottle in the freezer last night to freeze overnight and in the morning I found that it was only cold. Soo the freezer isn't getting to temp it appears. It's not too full but the other food appears to be frozen. I'm guessing this might have something to do with my ice production...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Should I place it in the ice compartment for the reading or try to get it ? as close to the ice production as possible?
As close to the ice production as possible.

Another datapoint--I put a water bottle in the freezer last night to freeze overnight and in the morning I found that it was only cold. Soo the freezer isn't getting to temp it appears. It's not too full but the other food appears to be frozen. I'm guessing this might have something to do with my ice production...
Bingo! You have a temperature problem.

Put your thermometer in the freezer and see what that is reading first!

Do you hear the freezer fan motor running inside the freezer? Is there frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer?

Jake

blbills

Premium Member
Ok, measured a temperature of 10 degrees F in the freezer (set to -4 on the panel) and 20 degrees F near the ice production. Seems like things aren't getting as cold as they need to.

Is there an easy way to "fake" the freezer door open so I can tell if the fan is running?

I ran a smartphone diagnostic and it came back with a report that nothing was wrong. Not sure how helpful that was...

EDIT: No frost buildup.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is there an easy way to "fake" the freezer door open so I can tell if the fan is running?
Yes, just hold the door switch in to hear the fan motor running.

Ok, measured a temperature of 10 degrees F in the freezer (set to -4 on the panel) and 20 degrees F near the ice production. Seems like things aren't getting as cold as they need to.
You are correct, both temperatures are too warm. It will never make ice at 20 degrees F.

So it sounds like you have a compressor problem. LG has had many problems on their compressors because they fail so much. You can google it and see.

You'd need to contact LG at 800-243-0000 to have a tech. come out to verify the compressor is the problem and the LG tech. will order it and replace it for you free of charge under warranty.

Jake

blbills

Premium Member
Jake,

I neglected to mention that we had the compressor replaced under warranty less than a year ago. Seems to me like it could be the fan? Could you tell me where those door switch(s) are? I can't seem to find them anywhere...

I assume I could disassemble an extract the fan and apply a voltage to it to test the fan motor. Do you know what voltage it's looking for?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't see the door switches on this model, you possibly have magnet door switches. Get a magnet and run it slowly along the frame of the inside freezer cabinet.

On the main control board, behind the machine, push the test button one time. Open the door and check the air flow through the round vent on the side.
Snapshot_1 (2).jpg

If there's no air flow check for 8-12 VDC on the main board CONN7-3 (red) to CONN7-5 (blue). If the voltage is 0V replace the board. Then check the voltage between CONN7-1 (yel/blk) and CONN7-5 (blue). If the voltage is 0V or 5V replace the fan motor.
Snapshot_2 (1).jpg

lg-bracket-assembly-motor-aba72913415-ap5973665_01_m.jpg

lg-pcb-assembly-main-ebr78940615-ap5986609_01_m.jpg

Jake

blbills

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,

The fan came on when I pressed the test button. Nice COLD air was coming out the upper hole inside the door leading to the icebox.

Could it be the other fan motor?