LG refrigerator LFXS24623S not cooling, fans not running.

Strangiato

Premium Member
Model Number
LFS24623S/01
Brand
LG
I just picked up this fridge, it’s about 3 years old and have noticed that the fans are not running. The fridge has a measured temp of 45 and the freezer is at 31. There is no air flow inside the fridge or freezer.

I have taken off the rear lower panel and the evap coils are clean with no excessive condensation in the drip pan, the evap fan does not run.

I’ve put it into test mode and the evap fan comes on and there is airflow inside the unit.

Does this sound like a main board issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That board was replaced with an updated version. The one in my post is the updated version.

Strangiato

Premium Member
Ok, thanks - I have no desire to have further issues.

Is there anything special that I need to know when replacing it?

Last edited:

Strangiato

Premium Member
Ok, so I put the mother board in today and the fans still do not run. Where do I look now?

Edit: It appears that the fan under the unit is now running (condenser fan?), is it just a matter of waiting to see if everything cools? Do the fans inside the unit shut off when you open the doors?

Side note: I work in the automotive business so I’m familiar with all of the parts, they just look a whole lot different 😉😁

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Give it 24 hours to stabilize. The condensor fan should be running any time the compressor is running. Each evaporator fan should be running any time that compartment is calling for cooling with the freezer section having priority. On some models opening the door turns on the light and stops the evaporator fan. Push the switch in and see if the fan turns on. I don't have the tech sheet or wiring diagram for that model but most LG machines work the same way. If the fan is not working pushing the reset button once should turn on the fan. If the fan doesn't turn on check for 13 VDC at the fan motor and at the board. Without the tech sheet I don't know what connector it is on the board but it might say on the board.

Strangiato

Premium Member
OK, so as of this AM there is no change in temperature. Let me just recap everything for clarity and so as to not duplicate anything

Here are the issues:

Fridge and freezer not cold enough, condenser fan not running, evap fan not running.

So let me just list everything that I've done/tried

1) Run test mode by pressing the button on the mother board. When in test mode, all fans would run and very cold air would blow into the fridge/freezer.

2) Replaced mother board. The condenser fan now runs, but there is no air blowing into the fridge/freezer. The compressor and condenser get hot when running.

3) Tried test mode again and once again have very cold air blowing into the unit. Considering the temperature of the air blowing in, I can assume that the freon is fully charged.

4) When opening the doors, the condenser fan shuts off. When holding down the light switch the compressor/condenser fans come back on.

So Now, I'm looking at an issues with the evap fan/circuit as the likely culprit. So what's the best way to proceed?

rickgburton

Staff member
The compressor and condenser get hot when running......I can assume that the freon is fully charged.
You know what the say when you assume. Compressors normally run warm to very warm. A compressor that runs hot to extremely hot usually indicates a problem with the sealed system.

When opening the doors, the condenser fan shuts off. When holding down the light switch the compressor/condenser fans come back on.
That shouldn't happen. The compressor and condensor fan do not run through a door switch, only the evaporator fan on some models.

Here's the problem, without the tech sheet and wire diagram I'm kind of working half blind. Right off the bat I'd say the new board is bad. If the compressor and condensor fan are turning on and off when you open a door, look for a short or pinched wire where the wires go through the door hinge. If you have your tech sheet can you post a copy here?

Strangiato

Premium Member
Sorry Rick, I don't have a tech sheet.

The condenser are not over heating, perhaps my background in cars has caused me to use terms that are too generic. By 'Hot' I do mean warm, they are not overheating by any means. I have burned myself on automotive systems with a blockage that has caused excessive heat.

I will double check the fan/door issue when I get home. I did have to remove the doors to get the machine in to my kitchen, so I'll check those connections as well.

Thanks SO much for your help Rick!!

rickgburton

Staff member
I found a diagram for a similar model. LG usually keeps the same connectors and pins across models. If the wire colors are the same, we're good. Push the test button one time.

The refrigerator fan is CONN6 Pin 3 (BL/WH) to Pin 5 (BK) = 8-12 VDC. Then measure feedback voltage CONN6 Pin 1 (YL/BK) to Pin 5. If the voltage is 0V or 5V replace the fan motor.

The freezer fan is CONN7 Pin 12 (WH/BK) to Pin 10 (OR/BL) = 8-12 VDC Feedback voltage Pin 8 (PR) to Pin 10. 0V or 5V replace motor

Strangiato

Premium Member
So...... stupid me just noticed a wiring diagram on the back of the unit

I just checked again and the condenser fan is still running and does NOT shut off when opening the doors. The compressor is warm and the condenser is slightly warm. I’ve noticed that the fan that I can feel blowing air in test mode is for the ice maker. I’m not sure where the fan for the fridge is or where the outlet is.

Attachments

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
I can't tell for sure, the pic is too out of focus for my old eyes but it looks like the same connectors and pins I posted.

#404A and #404B
F1704024-00001.jpg