• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG Refrigerator LFXS26973S/00 freezer icemaker dropping 'wet' ice and water into ice bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyePoole

Premium Member
Model Number
LFXS26973S/00
Brand
LG
The details: recently we've noticed that the freezer icemaker was dropping large chunks of ice. Ice cubes connected into blocks, like if you overfilled a plastic ice tray. More recently the ice was either being dropped 'wet' or the icemaker was dropping water on the ice. Last night at some point the icemaker put about 1 inch of water into the ice bin along with a couple of chunks of ice.

I have looked far and wide for anyone else with this issue. I find LOTS of issues with the in-door ice maker, but not an issue with the freezer ice maker. There is no water in the bottom of the freezer, just in the ice bin.

Thoughts?

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Recheck your model number for me. Nothing comes up with that one. It's also missing a few digits on the end. Be sure to read it off the model tag on the machine.

HawkeyePoole

Premium Member
Sorry. This post wasn't sending me notifications. Attached is the picture of the tag.

Attachments

• 20211202_223008[1].jpg
    20211202_223008[1].jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 72

rickgburton

Staff member
No problem. You just copied it down wrong in the first post. Check your information and check your email is correct. Make sure it's not being filtered by your email and going to the junk folder.

Look for ice in the fill tube. Is the ice maker overfilling? The ice maker temperature needs to be 0°F to dump the ice. Press the test button on the ice maker and start a harvest cycle and watch the water fill.

HawkeyePoole

Premium Member
I ran the icemaker last night. I do think it is overfilling the tray.
I can't find a switch to turn off the light with the door open to hear if the blower is working in the freezer as well. I read on another forum or here somewhere that if the fan isn't blowing cold air over the ice tray it may not freeze before it's dumped.

rickgburton

Staff member

HawkeyePoole

Premium Member
yes. I think it's overfilling. I don't understand "hinge cover"? Hinge cover of what? Where? I found the manual for the fridge and there was nothing useful in it and LG hasn't replied to inquiries (yet).

rickgburton

Staff member
I don't understand "hinge cover"?
Really? Looking for a door switch, in a hinge cover. Door switch, Hinge cover?? OK, It's the cover over over the top door hinges.
Snapshot_4_001.jpg

HawkeyePoole

Premium Member
The freezer doesn't have a door. It has a drawer. It pulls out. There's no door hinge cover. My in-door icemaker is fine. It's the icemaker in the freezer that has the problem.

rickgburton

Staff member

HawkeyePoole

Premium Member
I can't really see the ice maker very well. I can find and feel a silicone feeling tube on the right side of the icemaker. Would that be the fill tube? The icemaker overfills, and then dumps water with an ice 'block'. Last night i lowered the temp to the lowest setting (-6F) and I got one "ice" :cool: 20211206_143855.jpg20211206_143903.jpg20211206_143909.jpg

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
If there's ice in the fill tube, the water valve is leaking letting a small amount of water get past the diaphragm. If the water valve is good, the ice maker is the problem.

HawkeyePoole

Premium Member
I just opened the freezer. There is liquid water in the icemaker and it hasn't dropped ice in a looong time. I'm beginning to think that the fan in the freezer isn't working. Is it supposed to run all the time when the drawer is closed? Can you find how to make the drawer show closed when it's open so I can listen for the fan? There's no obvious switch anywhere.

TIA

rickgburton

Staff member
Unplug the machine for longer than 30 seconds while you access the main control board. Restore power. Press the reset button on the control board one time. Open the freezer door and feel for the air flow from the fan. The freezer fan doesn't go thru a door switch. The evaporator fan should be running whenever the compressor is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.