• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG Refrigerator LFXS26973S/04 suddenly developed cooling issues

keninman

Premium Member
Model Number
LFXS26973S
Brand
LG
So I got this fridge off of a guy who sells used appliances. This one was new but blemished. He said it was a floor demonstrator and the only real blemishes are a small dent in the top and very low on the left side. Since I didn't get it from an LG dealer I doubt I have any warranty. I got the fridge July 24th and it has worked perfectly until last evening when my SO noticed her ice cream wasn't really solid. I got ice out of it last evening and didn't notice anything but this morning the ice was melting so I put a thermometer in the freezer and it was over 25 degrees. I also noticed a lot of frost and wetness on everything. I unplugged the unit and left it off for a few minutes before reconnecting it. I went off to work and when I returned this afternoon the freezer was down to 0 and both ice makers had made ice. Well I opened it a bit ago and the thermometer had climbed to 15. I listened to the case and there were no motor noises with the doors closed and no heat from the compressor area. I unplugged it again for a few minutes and after a bit the compressor and fans started up, soon it was producing heat from the compressor area. However the freezer temperature continued to climb into the 20s. I moved all of the meat and such to our deep freeze. The freezer is now down to 16 degrees and dropping. I'm baffled and starting to suspect a thermostat, thermocouple or control board. Could it maybe be going to a defrost cycle and sticking there. Hopefully somebody here can help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Call LG with your model and serial number. It doesn't matter if it was a floor model it still has warranty.

keninman

Premium Member
Thanks Rick, I went online and registered the fridge and I paid for the 3 year service. I reckon we'll see if they accpet it.

This morning the compressor and fans are still running and the freezer shows 5 degrees on a mechanical freezer thermometer. Of course it does not have a lot in it because I moved the meat to the deepfreeze. I stuck a meat thermometer in the fridge part and it shows 35.2.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't understand why you had to pay for a warranty you should already have covered under the 1st year warranty

keninman

Premium Member
Their computer said that it has a one year warranty. I purchased an extended warranty for another 3 years because I am dubious of LG now.

keninman

Premium Member
I thought that I ought to post an update. Since the incident of it thawing out, it has ran flawlessly. I did purchase a wifi thermometer so that I can keep an eye on it. I tested turning it as low as possible and it cooled to -9, I then changed it to zero and it is holding just below zero. I will update if anything changes. My suspicion is that it's controller crashed and the rebooting seems to have resolved it for now.