• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG Refrigerator LFXS30766S In-door ice maker knocking?

jeckberg

Premium Member
Model Number
LFXS30766S
Brand
LG
The in-door ice maker in my LFXS30766S has been making a loud knocking noise lately. The arm that pushes the ice out of the maker and into the bin sometimes rotates freely, but at other time seem to catch for a moment, then push through...creating the knocking sound. When I noticed this sound I also discovered a buildup of ice on the right-side of the ice maker, so I don't know if they're related. But after removing the buildup the knocking is still happening. Has anyone seen this before? Any recommendations on how to fix it?

When I posted this to the LG community board of course the LG Moderator comes back immediately that it will require a service call. I'm hoping that someone here knows something so that I can avoid that.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its your ice maker is that is bad, seen this many times on my service calls.

Here's the ice maker for model you can order:
AEQ73130004 Ice Maker

This video shows you the general idea of how to replace the ice maker:

Jake

jeckberg

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. Not what I was hoping to hear, but I appreciate the confirmation that the unit needs service. It's still making ice with no issues...in your opinion, is the noise a sign that the unit is eventually going to fail and stop making ice, or is the noise the worst of it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
in your opinion, is the noise a sign that the unit is eventually going to fail and stop making ice, or is the noise the worst of it?
Yes, its going to fail soon and stop making ice, but you can keep using it up to that point if you want.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome.:)

Jake

Robert in MS

Premium Member
Similar question for 8 yr old LG, model LFX31925ST. I'm curious as to exactly what in the ice maker is making that noise (loud knock, about 1 per second, lasting about 30 seconds... just a guess on the timing). Is it plastic gears that are failing?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its when the ice maker is cycling and the ice tray TWISTS, the gear is starting to strip.

I replaced this same ice maker last week at a local customer I had in Quartzsite, Arizona for this exact same problem and the new ice maker fixed it.

Jake

Robert in MS

Premium Member
Thank you! Seems like a fairly common fault, & (just guessing, at least in my case) might be caused by water freezing where it isn't supposed to... causing a little binding/twisting. I say this because when I used the cycle button to initiate a tray rotation, a flat piece of ice chunk fell out, and I had already emptied the bin, which had way more misshapen chunks... as if some ice had melted & refrozen (no idea why that would have happened either! )

I guess if there was blockage & binding, the tray could have partially emptied, then refilled on top of existing cubes still stuck in the tray. In short, if this doesn't stop the problem, I guess it's time for a new icemaker... hope they're easy to replace! Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its easy to replace, there is a video in the part link I'm posting below.:)

Now, just make sure you order the correct ice maker, there are 2 for this model depending upon your secondary wire connector. The one I had in Quartzsite, Arizona had the 3 wires at the secondary (smaller) wire connector.

Here's the ice maker for your model with the 3 wires at the secondary (smaller) wire connector:
AEQ73110203 Ice Maker Assembly,kit

If your original ice maker has a 6 wire connector, order part number AEQ73110205. Verify your connector before ordering.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, but don't be surprised if it keeps happening, then you will have to replace the ice maker for sure.

Actually, it's kind of fun and very easy to replace the ice maker on this model.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Robert, sounds good, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake