• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LMX25964ST/00 not fully cooling

swami_storm

Premium Member
Model Number
LMX25964ST/00
Brand
LG
Our refrigerator/freezer recently stopped cooling as it should -- it is a LMX25964ST/00 that was seemingly manufactured in late 2010. No error codes. The first symptom was that the ice maker began working intermittently before stopping altogether as we noticed the refrigerator begun feeling a bit more milder/clammy. We removed a large chunk of ice that was stuck behind one of the bottom freezer drawers during the thaw. We cleaned the coils and did a manual defrost/cleaning for 36+ hours. We see the fan running. Cleaning the coils seemed to help to some degree. However, after restarted 72+ hours, we still can't get the refrigerator temperature any lower that 40-41F (when set at 34-35F). The freezer is colder than the refrigerator and seemingly had decent air flow through it, but it isn't quite cold enough to freeze things.

I now know the compressors are commonly an issue with these LG refrigerators, but that's beyond my self-repair threshold, plus no one in my area will service LG. My main question -- Is there any practical merit in me trying to replace any non-compressor things such as any temperature sensors, the control board etc.? Thanks much for any guidance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Remove the back panel inside the freezer and take a photo of your evaporator coil and upload it here please. We need to see the frost pattern on it.

Jake

swami_storm

Premium Member
Sorry for the delayed reply. First, I can confirm the fan is running. However, the coil has no frost/ice on it whatsoever -- moist/damp only. We noticed something on the right-hand side that seems to be burnt/melted, partially onto the coils. I admittedly don't know what it is, but it doesn't seem right to my untrained eye (images 548 and 540).

Attachments

• IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 106

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

You have a sealed system problem because all the coils should have a thin layer of frost on them, look at the last photo below.

Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Time to go refrigerator shopping.

Jake

swami_storm

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for the time and advice. Figured that was probably the case. Out of curiosity, what is your (or anyone else's) interpretation of my picture 548 in terms of what looks almost melted (black; just above the right-hand side of my coils)?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The manufacturers will sometime use a piece of permagum (plumbers putty) around the cap tube and muffler where refrigerant enters the evaporator. It's an added layer of sound protection to keep the sound (if any) of refrigerant boiling (gurgling) to a minimum. You can leave it off without any problems.

Jake