• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LMXS30776D/02 loud grinding noise

meahern

Premium Member
Model Number
LMXS30776D/02
Brand
LG
I have a now 4 year old LG LMXS30776/02 fridge (French door fridge, with the freezer drawer on the bottom). It will periodically make a grinding noise that starts off fairly quietly, but within a couple days gets very loud. The noise is constant, except it will occasionally stop for a couple minutes before starting again. Also, it stops when we open any door or drawer...but starts again seconds after we close them.

This started happening 2 years ago (when the fridge was about 2 years old). We had no idea what it was so we called a repairman. He told us the noise was from the fan that blows cold air from the freezer to the ice maker compartment, and that ice builds up on the fan assembly... so the noise is from the fan blades scraping against the ice. He accessed the fan and defrosted it with a hair dryer (and charged me $115).

This corrected the problem for a few weeks, then it started again. Rather than call the repairman again, we just emptied and unplugged the fridge for a couple days to let it defrost. Again, this fixed the problem but only temporarily. We’ve done this every 4-6 weeks for 2 years now, and are quite tired of it.

There is another thread on this site that describes a similar (perhaps identical) issue. The response on that thread states the problem is the freezer evaporator fan motor, and that it needs to be replaced. However the repairman that came to my house 2 years ago still insists it's coming from the fan that directs cold air to the ice maker. Whichever it is, I'm wondering if replacing the fan assembly will actually correct the problem or if it will eventually begin to ice over just like the current one.

Is there supposed to be a defroster on the fan to prevent ice buildup? If not, is there any sort of after market defroster that can be installed on the assembly to prevent ice buildup?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't think the fan would cause this. Its more likely the defrost sensor/defrost heater assembly.

Here's the freezer defrost sensor/defrost heater assembly for your model:

Did the repairman remove the back panel inside the freezer to ohm test the defrost sensor/defrost heater first before defrosting it?

Jake

meahern

Premium Member
Jake-

Thanks for the reply.

I honestly don't know if the repairman did an electrical check on the defroster. My memory (he was out 2 years ago) is that he 'knew' what it was based on having seen the problem before. He did remove the freezer drawer and panels to access the fan...then used a hair dryer to deice it. And he did say he was certain the fan/motor assembly he deiced was the one that directs cold air to the ice maker. He explained that this is a common issue with this fridge design, because the ice maker isn't located near the freezer (it's inside the fridge door), and the engineers in all their wisdom came up with this solution to transfer cold air from the freezer.

Is the defroster sensor/heater you suggested supposed to prevent ice on this particular fan?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the defroster sensor/heater you suggested supposed to prevent ice on this particular fan?
Yes, exactly.

All the fan does is blow the air, how can that make it frost up? Unless the fan is intermittently working, then NOT working, did he mention that?

Jake

meahern

Premium Member
No he didn’t... but I can attest to the fact the fan runs near constantly (and the noise drives us crazy... you can hear it throughout the house, it’s that loud). It will occasionally stop for 2-3 minutes but then starts again. Also, as I stated above... the fan will stop whenever we open any door or drawer, but starts again a couple seconds after we close it.
I fully agree... logic would dictate it is the defroster. However I didn’t realize the fan had a dedicated defroster unit. The repairman certainly didn’t tell me... he pretty much just said this was a common issue, and chalked it up to a design flaw on this style fridge.
Maybe I need a new repairman, not a new fridge?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, new repairman.

Jake