• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LRFXS2503S - Evap Fans only run in test mode; Error "CL E"

hmilzzz

Model Number
LRFXS2503S
Brand
LG
I've got an LG model # LRFXS2503S that seems to have issues holding temperature. I noticed a few weeks back the ice cream was occasionally softer than normal. Earlier this week, the fridge itself produced an error code "CL E". In the back I cleaned the coils, verified the compressor was running normal (normal temps) and that the compressor fan was running. After doing some more research I found the test button on the circuit board which made me realize that the evaporator fans (internal fans) were never turning on during normal operation. When I would run Test 1, all the fans would audibly turn on and I can feel cold air blowing in the freezer and fridge compartments. Once the test is over, the compressor cycles on and off with it's fan, but the internal fans never seem to turn on. I've tried both listening for the fans with the doors closed after resetting the fridge and faking the door switch but they never come on.

Could it be an issue with a temperature sensor?

I acquired the fridge when I bought my house only a year ago, the previous owners had supposedly just purchased it a few months before. I guess that means I'm out of luck for warranty related help - correct? What should my next steps be?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, error CL E is a low side leak in your sealed system, that's why the fans are not running in normal mode.

You will need a LG tech to come out at 1-800-243-0000 and find that leak and repair it. Its not a job a normal consumer can do.

Doing sealed system work is very unique craft that you need to be trained in with lots of hands on experience.

Also, Doing sealed system work requires you to have a turbo torch, acetylene for the torch, knowledge of how to use and weld with a turbo torch, also having a vacuum pump, and the proper amount of R-134a to use, changing the Filter Drier as well, solder, flux, silfloss, sandpaper, etc.

You need to be a certified Type 1 40 CFR part 82, subpart F. AHAM-NARDA Refrigerant Tech. to change Compressors or do any sealed system work involving Freon(Refrigerant Gas). I got certified on 11-17-1994 when i worked for Montgomery Ward Service Dept.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.