• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LRMDC2306S /00 - brand new - is this a freon leak or solder flux or what?

petreza

Premium Member
Model Number
LRMDC2306S
Brand
LG
Got a brand new LG LRMDC2306S /00 - French Door with two drawers.
Plugged it in. Ran empty for a couple of hours then started buzzing 2x-3x as loud. I knew that the compressor must be touching the frame because if I shook the fridge the buzzing was intermittent.
Opened the back cover and I see this:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkXUyytj8N5agqxDHt67RVYmiEQLIg?e=GQEyZQ
and this:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkXUyytj8N5agqxCFO-s6ykoSti3Lg?e=gJTEBV

In the first picture you can see where it dripped on the bottom panel.

Is this a freon leak or residue from the solder flux? It is a lot - it formed a stalactite as it dripped.

(The compressor was touching the frame - if I pulled it backwards just a couple of millimeters, it quieted down.)

petreza

Premium Member
Thanks!
Flux i a strong acid, right? Should I clean it? Baking soda?
There seems to be some corrosion - the green stuff.

The other joints are all clean. Does that mean that there was an issue during manufacturing and someone had to manually fix it post-production?
Is there a way for me to check that the fridge has enough freon inside (R600a 1.94oz = 55g) because the fridge is acting weak (I will start a separate thread about that)?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You can clean it if you want but it won't hurt anything to leave it as is. Copper to copper uses a different brazing material, that's why they look clean. Steel to copper is what leaves the residue.
Is there a way for me to check that the fridge has enough freon inside
No, it's a sealed system.
because the fridge is acting weak
Call LG and set up a warranty service call. Everything is covered for the first year. If you attempt a repair you risk losing your warranty. No need to start another thread.