• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LSXS26326 - Fridge seems to work, freezer not cooling

John Michael

Premium Member
Model Number
LSXS26326
Brand
LG
Fridge seems to be fine - around 36 °F inside.
Freezer in the high 20's. Got down to mid teens today, but now back to the high 20's. I know little about refrigerator/freezers, but I would think if freezer was not cooling, fridge would have same issue.
Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot and fix?
It looks like the class action thing may not apply to our unit. We purchased in March of 2018.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you hear the fan in the freezer running?

Pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel and get a flashlight and see if your condenser fan motor is running, it mounts next to the compressor.

Have you cleaned your condenser coil? If that clogs up with lint or pet hair, that will make it not cool properly.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I would think if freezer was not cooling, fridge would have same issue.
The evaporator fan pulls air in from the vents at the bottom of the evaporator cover, across the evaporator coils, and back into the freezer and the fresh food section

All the cooling takes place from the evaporator in the freezer section. A fan is used to circulate the cold air from the freezer into the fresh food section. If the control is satisfied with the fresh food temps, the damper closes off the airflow from the freezer. 20° in the freezer is below the set point in the fresh food compartment so it's understandable the fresh food section seems to be OK, for now.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot and fix?
Check the evaporator fan is working. Check if the condensor fan is working. Check for any frost build up on the evaporator coils indicating a defrost problem.

John Michael

Premium Member
Check the evaporator fan is working. Check if the condensor fan is working. Check for any frost build up on the evaporator coils indicating a defrost problem.
Where are the evaporator coils? Are they accessible from the bottom of the fridge or do I need to pull off a panel somewhere?

Fans both under the fridge and within seem to be working. I did clean lint and other things from under the unit. After that, temps in freezer went up (~33 F) and fridge is now barely 40 F. I am sure cleaning did not cause this; something is failing or not working.

I am trying to get a repair company to check it out. My unit is on the LG settlement list, build in 2017, so hoping a repair person can fix and I can get reimbursed. But, I am still interested in the evaporator coil location. The copper tubing under the fridge was room temp-ish. Is this where heat is dissipated?

rickgburton

Staff member
Where are the evaporator coils?.......... do I need to pull off a panel somewhere?
The evaporator fan pulls air in from the vents at the bottom of the evaporator cover, across the evaporator coils, and back into the freezer....

R-REF.jpg

John Michael

Premium Member
THANKS FOR THE EXCELLENT (simple) labeled drawing. I now remember the cooling cylce from thermo class back in the late 80's.
So, I got home from work today, and fridge is at its normal temp. I put the thermometer in the freezer and it is dropping. Condenser and fan are not running (they were continuously running yesterday). I am not declaring victory yet (freezer still in the 20's). I plan on tinkering a bit before the reparman comes to morrow. So, one maybe last question or two:
I have read about a test button on the PCB. Videos show an obvious place/panel on many LG's, but I cannot seem to find something similar on my model. 1. where might the PCB and test button be? 2. is there even any point or use in finding and pushing it?

rickgburton

Staff member
The control housing is by the compressor in the machine compartment. To access the electronic control board, open the housing. Take a pic of the board and post it here and I'll point it out for you.

Snapshot_2.jpg

John Michael

Premium Member
I had a service person come out this morning. Compressor is indeed bad. Cost to repair was more than a replacement. I called LG settlement number. I was beyond settlement, and settlement turns out not that great. HOWEVER, the nice person did tell me the warranty on compressor was modified. I called LG customer service and sure enough, 5 year parts AND labor for a compressor. Service company is ordering parts!