• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LSXS26326 - Fridge seems to work, freezer not cooling

John Michael

Premium Member
Model Number
LSXS26326
Brand
LG
Fridge seems to be fine - around 36 °F inside.
Freezer in the high 20's. Got down to mid teens today, but now back to the high 20's. I know little about refrigerator/freezers, but I would think if freezer was not cooling, fridge would have same issue.
Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot and fix?
It looks like the class action thing may not apply to our unit. We purchased in March of 2018.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you hear the fan in the freezer running?

Pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel and get a flashlight and see if your condenser fan motor is running, it mounts next to the compressor.

Have you cleaned your condenser coil? If that clogs up with lint or pet hair, that will make it not cool properly.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I would think if freezer was not cooling, fridge would have same issue.
The evaporator fan pulls air in from the vents at the bottom of the evaporator cover, across the evaporator coils, and back into the freezer and the fresh food section

All the cooling takes place from the evaporator in the freezer section. A fan is used to circulate the cold air from the freezer into the fresh food section. If the control is satisfied with the fresh food temps, the damper closes off the airflow from the freezer. 20° in the freezer is below the set point in the fresh food compartment so it's understandable the fresh food section seems to be OK, for now.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot and fix?
Check the evaporator fan is working. Check if the condensor fan is working. Check for any frost build up on the evaporator coils indicating a defrost problem.

John Michael

Premium Member
Check the evaporator fan is working. Check if the condensor fan is working. Check for any frost build up on the evaporator coils indicating a defrost problem.
Where are the evaporator coils? Are they accessible from the bottom of the fridge or do I need to pull off a panel somewhere?

Fans both under the fridge and within seem to be working. I did clean lint and other things from under the unit. After that, temps in freezer went up (~33 F) and fridge is now barely 40 F. I am sure cleaning did not cause this; something is failing or not working.

I am trying to get a repair company to check it out. My unit is on the LG settlement list, build in 2017, so hoping a repair person can fix and I can get reimbursed. But, I am still interested in the evaporator coil location. The copper tubing under the fridge was room temp-ish. Is this where heat is dissipated?

rickgburton

Staff member
Where are the evaporator coils?.......... do I need to pull off a panel somewhere?
The evaporator fan pulls air in from the vents at the bottom of the evaporator cover, across the evaporator coils, and back into the freezer....

R-REF.jpg

John Michael

Premium Member
THANKS FOR THE EXCELLENT (simple) labeled drawing. I now remember the cooling cylce from thermo class back in the late 80's.
So, I got home from work today, and fridge is at its normal temp. I put the thermometer in the freezer and it is dropping. Condenser and fan are not running (they were continuously running yesterday). I am not declaring victory yet (freezer still in the 20's). I plan on tinkering a bit before the reparman comes to morrow. So, one maybe last question or two:
I have read about a test button on the PCB. Videos show an obvious place/panel on many LG's, but I cannot seem to find something similar on my model. 1. where might the PCB and test button be? 2. is there even any point or use in finding and pushing it?

rickgburton

Staff member
The control housing is by the compressor in the machine compartment. To access the electronic control board, open the housing. Take a pic of the board and post it here and I'll point it out for you.

Snapshot_2.jpg

John Michael

Premium Member
I had a service person come out this morning. Compressor is indeed bad. Cost to repair was more than a replacement. I called LG settlement number. I was beyond settlement, and settlement turns out not that great. HOWEVER, the nice person did tell me the warranty on compressor was modified. I called LG customer service and sure enough, 5 year parts AND labor for a compressor. Service company is ordering parts!

mike5958

Premium Member
Hi John, did you also happen to notice / or saw that the frost pattern on the coil while you had the service person there?

A friend of my has the same model fridge, (manufactured 2017.07) and similar symptoms that you described.

Attached is photo of the coil about 2 days after manually defrosting... if left alone, frost continues to build up at the top of coil -seems not normal at all - eventually triggers DH error code but I don't believe it's the defrost system? hopefully (though terrible) in my it is also the compressor and still be covered under warranty/labor.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.30.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.30.45 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 84

John Michael

Premium Member
Short answer is no.
Long answer is I was about to yank off the panel to look at the coils with no obvious way to unclip or unscrew and my wife stopped me and told me to wait the 12 hours for the repair guy before I did any real damage. As soon as he heard the compressor, he declared it was the problem. He then did some diagnostic stuff, told me way expensive to repair and then I found that I was still under warranty.
Now just waiting and waiting on the parts. Fridge maintains a temp in the low 50s, so using as a cellar for veggies and condiments with the more important items in my beer fridge and a dorm fridge.
Thanks for the picture. If I have future issues I will definitely refer back to it.

rickgburton

Staff member
Hi Mike, Your refrigerator has a sealed system problem. It could be the compressor, refrigerant leak, or a system restriction.

Sealed System.jpg

John Michael

Premium Member
Curious: do you have any tips or advice on getting the panel off to expose the coils? I do not plan on doing this in the short term, but would like to know. I removed all the shelves and saw no obvious clips or screws.

rickgburton

Staff member
First remove the screw in the upper panel. Hold the top and carefully pull it out. Then hold the top of the lower panel and pull it out.

mike5958

Premium Member
Thanks Rick.

John, since I have open this fridge's panel a few times now - I outlined the steps I took below in more details:
(btw, we are waiting for LG service technician, it is a week out - there is only one person in my area that would do warranty work - local authorized service center told me they do not do warranty work).

Your situation may vary, so do adjust to what you see in your fridge and review all steps before you begin if you decide to try.

1. top screw (white) that holds the air flow thing at the top of the freezer compartment
2. there's a plastic round cover in the middle top half section of the plastic back panel, a screw behind this small round cover (size of a quarter), remove this screw
2a. take note that this white plastic panel bottom edge sits over the bottom white planel (take a photo first to remember) and useful when putting it back together
3. pull out the top half panel out carefully (starting from top, I think that's what Rick meant by hold the top also), there will be a temperature wire connected to the top right corner, I think its best to disconnect but alternative this wire and sensor could be removed gently from the plastic panel as well. (the connectors are at the top, see photos below)
4. you now see a black panel with the fan behind the white plastic panel you just removed, this is kept in place with small nook on the side if you look carefully around the edge but generally you also can gently pull this off - again, by starting & holding the top.
5. once black panel removed, you can disconnect the fan wire connector at the top right corner by pressing on the front of connector to unlatch (took me a while to figure out where to press)
6. pull the bottom panel off gently - there are no screws, just side nook similar to top section. similarly, hold the top of the panel and pull.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 5.38.49 PM.png

John Michael

Premium Member
Thanks Rick.

John, since I have open this fridge's panel a few times now - I outlined the steps I took below in more details:
(btw, we are waiting for LG service technician, it is a week out - there is only one person in my area that would do warranty work - local authorized service center told me they do not do warranty work).

Your situation may vary, so do adjust to what you see in your fridge and review all steps before you begin if you decide to try.

1. top screw (white) that holds the air flow thing at the top of the freezer compartment
2. there's a plastic round cover in the middle top half section of the plastic back panel, a screw behind this small round cover (size of a quarter), remove this screw
2a. take note that this white plastic panel bottom edge sits over the bottom white planel (take a photo first to remember) and useful when putting it back together
3. pull out the top half panel out carefully (starting from top, I think that's what Rick meant by hold the top also), there will be a temperature wire connected to the top right corner, I think its best to disconnect but alternative this wire and sensor could be removed gently from the plastic panel as well. (the connectors are at the top, see photos below)
4. you now see a black panel with the fan behind the white plastic panel you just removed, this is kept in place with small nook on the side if you look carefully around the edge but generally you also can gently pull this off - again, by starting & holding the top.
5. once black panel removed, you can disconnect the fan wire connector at the top right corner by pressing on the front of connector to unlatch (took me a while to figure out where to press)
6. pull the bottom panel off gently - there are no screws, just side nook similar to top section. similarly, hold the top of the panel and pull.

View attachment 59173
Thanks! I might pull off the panel tomorrow or Saturday when I get tired of tearing up my rotted deck. Just curious what mine looks like and my wife is out of town so she cannot stop me.

mike5958

Premium Member
Hi Rick, I also noticed the fridge has hairline crack in the back that is I think was caused by excessive amount of frost that expanded beyond the limits of these plastic cover panel... should we worry about these or should be fixed? simple solutions to this? duct tape?

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 5.38.49 PM.png

rickgburton

Staff member
Use 100% silicone and put a bead over it. You can probably super glue it and use a spray accelerator to fix it.

mike5958

Premium Member
Thanks! was thinking about silicone too...only thing is while freezer emptied already but fridge side still have large amount of stuff to leave unplugged for too long for slilcone to fully cure. It looks too separated to use super glue.