• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LSXS26336S Ice Dispenser Freezes Over

Nate_

Premium Member
Model Number
LSXS26336S
Brand
LG
Greetings,

The ice maker dispensing chute feezes up on the refrigerator. In the picture attached you can see what it looks like 2 days after being completely defrosted. Eventually that ice spreads across the entire opening and no ice can get out.

I've taken apart the ice maker and re-leveled it. Everything looked like it was correct.

Appreciate any help in figuring out why this area is freezing over.

- Nate

Attachments

• ice chute.jpg
    ice chute.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 31

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its possibly the little ice dispenser door not closing tight, thus warm kitchen air coming back in from the little ice dispenser door and causing that condensation, thus the frost and ice build-up in the ice dispenser chute.

The way I check it is get a flashlight and shine it down the ice dispenser chute from inside the freezer door, then look on the front side of the freezer door and see if you see light coming through.

Jake

Nate_

Premium Member
Thanks for the help! I put a light in there and looked from the outside. No light was shining through. Also felt around the sealing surface of the dispenser door to see if there were any obstructions...felt like it was in good shape.

Any other idea of why this might be happening?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, that's basically the place the warm air can get into the freezer.

Its a mystery to me now too. You can contact LG at 800-243-0000 to have a tech. come out to see what's going on.

Wait, I just remembered something, do you use mostly crushed ice? If so, then that's what's happening, switch to cubed ice a few times and it will clear those crushed ice shavings out. I've seen that happen to other brands, and it works great.

Or spray the ice chute with a food grade lubrication like PAM.

Jake

Nate_

Premium Member
No ice has been dispensed since it has been defrosted. I was trying to isolate the issue. It has been making ice and the door's been opened and closed a few times...but that's it.

Would you recommend changing the chute door/solenoid? Is it likely that a new unit would create a better seal?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Would you recommend changing the chute door/solenoid? Is it likely that a new unit would create a better seal?
No, if you see no light coming through, then you have no air leak.

Jake

Nate_

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

Found out the friend I asked to do the light check (this fridge is at a rental) used a cell phone light. Today I did the check myself with a flashlight and saw light leaking from the 6 o'clock position on the door.

What's the best way to fix the air leak on that door?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member