• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator LTC24380SW No Ice

Craddock01

Premium Member
Model Number
LTC24380SW
Brand
LG
I have the aforementioned freezer/fridge. I have confirmed water with good pressure at the inlet valve at the rear of the unit but the tray where the cubes are frozen/made is dry. The ice maker is on as indicated by the green light on the ice maker and the switch in the on position. Could it be the inlet valve? I've taken some of these apart and found a bad solenoid valve. Is there anything between the inlet valve and the ice cube tray within the ice maker?

Any assistance is appreciated.

J.T.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If you can force cycle the ice maker, check for 120 VAC at the valve solenoid.

Craddock01

Premium Member
How would one go about forcing a cycle?

Could I remove the solenoid and cycle 120V to it and if it actuates then it's operating as designed?

Taking it the next step, I would assume if I'm getting 120V signal to the solenoid then the solenoid is bad. No signal would then mean a problem in a board within the ice maker itself?

rickgburton

Staff member
Almost all ice makers there's a way to force cycle them. Most can be done in service mode. I don't have the tech sheet or any information on that machine. Locate your tech sheet and that will tell you how. Look under a hinge cover or behind the lower panel.

Craddock01

Premium Member
Thanks for the assistance. I appreciate it. One last question: is it a good assumption that if I find the solenoid valve is good meaning most likely it is a bad circuit board, it's probably not worth repairing?

rickgburton

Staff member
Usually the voltage for the ice solenoid comes from the ice maker and the water solenoid, the dispenser board. LG models go both ways. I'm still looking for the tech sheet.

rickgburton

Staff member
If your ice maker has a "Cube Size" button, press and hold it for three seconds. The ice maker should start a harvest cycle.

Craddock01

Premium Member
Solenoid works. I clipped leads to input side and cycled and got water on the output line. So... board in the icemaker? Worth replacing? Here's the ice maker (I thought for a second the small hole on the front may force a cycle but that changes the cube size.)

Attachments

• 20210918_151722.jpg
    20210918_151722.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210918_151731.jpg
    20210918_151731.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 14

rickgburton

Staff member
If your ice maker has a "Cube Size" button, press and hold it for three seconds. The ice maker should start a harvest cycle.
How did you miss that??

Craddock01

Premium Member
I've never used that nor noticed it and had no idea what it did until after removing solenoid and testing. Once I pressed it and saw it cyxle through the 3 lights, I deduced what it did. I have activated the "long press" and the bottom 2 lights lit up.

Given the fact that the inlet solenoid is good, does the 2 bottom light sequence indicate an error code or, if not, wait to see what happens or, with no water and a good inlet solenoid, is it a board within the ice maker and, if so, is it worth repairing?

I think I've covered all scenarios...

rickgburton

Staff member
LEDs indicate: first, the 5 steps through test mode.
Snapshot_3.jpg

Then, if any, error codes:

Snapshot_4.jpg

Craddock01

Premium Member
OK - so I forced the cycle. The first time, the ejector blades made two full rotations and I noticed the bar/lever started to lift but only moved a fraction of an inch On the next (third) rotation, I manually lifted the lever up and heard the solenoid cycle and the tray filled with water. The second time, I did same but this time, on the first rotation, I lifted the level manually at the appropriate time and the solenoid cycled and tray filled with water. Years ago, I had an older unit I worked on and the little tab that rotates with the ejector blades and lifts the bar broke off. Silly they make something that takes the most pressure out of cheap thin plastic which is prone to breaking in a cold brittle environment if ice prevents the lifting of the lever...but I digress. When I went to get this part from a local repair shop the owner said he had plenty and would give me one. After going through 3 or 4 all had that tab broken indicating this is a problem in many units. Can I/Should I assume that is what is wrong with this unit and do they sell those pieces individually or do I need to buy an entire assemble or ice maker?

rickgburton

Staff member