• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Refrigerator not cooling - LFXC24726S

John 4

Premium Member
Model Number
LFXC24726S
Brand
LG
Our refrigerator stopped cooling last week, freezer is still cold, seems to work just fine. I worked through the LG Smart Diagnosis and got an rF error. I checked the service manual from another thread, found that the fridge evaporator fan spins freely and sometimes runs, but did not produce noticeable air movement in test mode 1. I saw voltages on the main board as follows in test mode 1:
wire 1 - wire 5 - 4.95v
wire 3 - wire 5 - 12v

Based on the above, I think we need a new evaporator fan. Could you confirm the proper fan model, or advise if we need to do additional troubleshooting.
Thanks!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, error rF=REFRIGERATOR FAN

The refrigerator fan motor is located behind that back panel towards the bottom.

Here's the service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WAcPGFbewftV77zHrW8oDIx-7GKeUHto/view?usp=sharing

Look on Page 42 and Page 43 and check the voltage at the main control board, which is located behind the refrigerator once you pull the refrigerator out from the wall.

CON6--->3rd pin(Blue/White wire) ~ 5th pin(Black wire) should be getting 8-12 Volts DC

So the REFRIGERATOR FAN is the culprit, since your voltage is good to it.

Here it is for your model:

Here's the video to replace it:

Jake

John 4

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! Yesterday the freezer stopped working as well. Could this also be related to the rF error? If not, what's the best way for me to troubleshoot more?

John 4

Premium Member
Also - our evaporator fan has 4 pins, not the three shown on the part above (see picture). Could you confirm which part we should use? Thanks!

3099603B-C034-41D1-AA93-E2C4E3D94F4C.jpeg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I went to several part sites for your model number and they all say that is the correct refrig evap fan motor for your model.

Recheck your model number.

Yesterday the freezer stopped working as well. Could this also be related to the rF error? If not, what's the best way for me to troubleshoot more?
I posted the service manual above, it will tell you how to test the freezer evap fan motor.

Jake

John 4

Premium Member
Confirming - LFXC24726S/03 is the model number. Thanks, I'll check freezer troubleshooting tonight.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime!

Jake

John 4

Premium Member
Jake,
One more question. The fridge temp went back up to the mid-50s. The fridge diagnostic shows normal operations, and no error codes visible. The evaporator fan is functioning well. Any guidance on how to troubleshoot from here?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take a photo of your refrigerator evaporator coil and upload it here, so we can see the frost pattern on it. You may have a sealed system problem if its back to the mid-50's.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, can you tell me why you took 2 photos? When was the first one taken? AND the 2nd one taken?

The 2nd one is a much better frost pattern, but its still not enough frost. Look at the last photo below and you will see what a NORMAL FROST PATTERN will look like.

Frost Patterns.jpg

John 4

Premium Member
First photo was when I first opened up the back of the fridge, second photo was ~20mins later while the compressor was running. I’ll check again this am and will send another photo.

John 4

Premium Member
No frost again this AM.

Attachments

• A88F77CD-AEF0-415A-9084-E9A554B1085E.jpeg
    A88F77CD-AEF0-415A-9084-E9A554B1085E.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 23

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was the compressor running?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
still no frost on the condenser.
That's the evaporator, not condenser. The condenser is on the outside of the refrigerator near the compressor.

You definitely have a sealed system or compressor problem. LG compressors are prone to fail early and often.

Check your owners manual warranty for a 5 to 10 year sealed system/compressor warranty, then contact LG at (800) 243-0000 to come to fix it for you.

Jake

John 4

Premium Member
Understood, my bad on the terminology. I’ve contacted LG for service. Thank you again!

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.