• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG top load washer WT5001CW noise question top load washer

corvairbob

Premium Member
Model Number
WT5001CW
Brand
LG
i have the LG WT5001CW top load washer and the last few weeks when i start it up as it is doing the load sensing it makes what to me sounds like a grinding noise. before that started it would go thru that load sensing a few times it would go one way for a very short time and then it would spin a bit and then go the other way for a short time and spin and it may do that a few times.

now it goes into load sensing and make that grinding noise and then it goes right into filling with water and runs. it seems to agitate good but to be honest i have not sat and watched it. and today it was just about done with the cycle and had 35 minutes on the clock yet. it starts at 51 minutes on the clock. so it may be trying to do the agitate with the bottom section and doing that grinding and it thinks it has completed that and goes into the rest of the cycle and the time does not catch up and if it is grinding and missing the bottom agitator actually spinning it may be counting turns on the motor and missing the cycle completely.

so if the agitator is not fully connected to the motor i guess it may be counting turns and the agitator is not actually spinning and now it may be missing the wash cycle completely? so can some tell me if that sounds about correct and i have a broken machine that i now have to take apart and fine the broken part and fix it. it may just be a simple as the agitator broke off the motor or the motor shaft broke. and or a manual that shows the system completely so i can take it apart to look for the bad item.

any ideas? thanks bp.

Added correct model number

Last edited by a moderator:

corvairbob

Premium Member
ok update i found the issue the motor armature ame lose and lowered down to the point the clutch was not fully engaging. that was the noise that sounded like gears slipping. well i found it because just after i posted this it broke. so now the dilemma the part is not available from the appliance parts store so i can't get a good number. does anyone have that part number? i will look more but just in case. thanks

foune on on ebay the clutch and upper unit that throw the clutch up or down into the correct cogs. thanks

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Bob,

We need the exact model number of this washer, read it from the model number tag on the machine because you have two different models listed--->WT5001CW and WT5101

Jake

corvairbob

Premium Member
yse that is what is on the machine. but in doing research at appliance parts it looks like they like the wt5001cw. i found out what was wrong with this machine,after it broke about an hour after i posted the question. i looked up the machine at appliance parts and found the unit and started checking out the blow up and got the the gears and was then jotting them down for lookup and the machine made a loud bang and stopped about 3 minutes to ending the final spin. anyway took it apart and found the clutch gear broken, but that was not the root cause.

when i started taking it apart i found the nut holding the armature was almost off the shaft and that made the armature drop to the point the gears did not mesh good enough for a proper fit and that caused the grinding noise, but that noise was that gear breaking and the shock must have spiked the amp load and the inverter shut id down. so i just got the clutch and the shifter unit coming in the mail by next saturday.

so thanks for getting back to me and maybe some others will see this and be able to fine there issues. i have no clue why that nut came lose as the machine never had any work done to it. so may have been a friday built thing. also i think the clock getting of time was due to that grinding and slipping and throwing off the turns count to the timer count. we will see if that gets back to normal after i put the parts in and start it up again. i will use some blue locktight this time to make sure it has a better chance of not getting lose again.

again thanks jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

corvairbob

Premium Member
well it is a nut that holds the rotor onto the shaft this part for the rotor
1619379816840.png

this part is the washer k305 and nut k300
1619379767657.png

thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My bad, I thought you said the bolt came loose, I see now where you said that rotor nut came loose.

Thanks Bob!

Jake

corvairbob

Premium Member
no problem i have parts in the mail now when they get here and the machine runs good i can post the results. thanks for the help so far. bp.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bob, sounds good.

Jake

corvairbob

Premium Member
ok Jake i got the parts installed real easy. i took the shift motor apart to make sure it was not damaged and also bench ran it to make sure it ran. when i up it back in it was a bit off from the spot i took it out at. but i figured when i did a test run it would cycle and find its natural spot.

well it ran in tube clean and when it got to 8 minutes i noticed the uE error i looked it up and that wss out of balance under 3 times. i hit start and the error went away but had to do on off and start to get it to finish the 8 minutes.

so i did another tub clean and at 35 minutes it had another uE but was still funning. so i took a bullet level and set on top of the lid and side to side it was all in the center and front to back it was at the line with the front higher than the back

i don't quite understand why i would get a uE error with just water in the tub. so if that sounds like it may be normal with just water then i will run the wash and see if it goes bask out of balance with that error code.

what do you think? thanks bob p.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That I don't know Bob, I'm not that familiar with these LG washers, hopefully another tech that works on these day in and day out can answer that for you.

Jake

corvairbob

Premium Member
thanks jake. today i have it doing the wash so maybe it is just because it was empty, but it seems strange that it would go out of balance with just water in it. today i will find out for sure. i did re level it i had to raise the back feet but now it is dead on both side to side and front to back. so lets now see how that goes, but i did notice this time that it did it's thing where when you first start it up it jiggles back forth then goes clockwise jiggles and then counter clockwise and does the 2 or 3 times. when it was in the process of breaking it did not do that and i thought something was going wrong to the point i told the wife we may be looking for another machine. just before it broke when it was starting to do that startup load since i would hear some ratcheting sound and it went right into fill and fit off time. so now to see if that all goes away. no ratcheting this time. also o put some blue locktight on the threads to help keep the nut tight. it looked like it had red lock tight on it before so that is strange it worked loose. thanks bp.

corvairbob

Premium Member
ok jake here is an update it has now ran to wash days without any errors so it may just be it did not like being empty for the uE error. so for now i will call this repaired until another issue shows up. thanks for the help bob p.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bob, sounds good.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake