• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG TROMM DLG3788W no workie

sonambulist

Premium Member
Greetings,

I have an LG TROMM DLG3788W. Purchased along with the house we just bought in May. The unit was manufactured in 2005, but not sure when the original owners purchased it. Checking on that (for warranty).

Was working fine until last night when the wife went to put a load in.

Symptoms:
  • Powers up: OK, plays its little song.
  • CHECK FILTER light blinks (which it always does, just a reminder to clean out the lint filter before starting a load).
  • The knob normally used to select the dry mode does not work. All the LEDs around the knob light up. Usually, you just twist the knob and the default option stays lit and the rest go dark. This is not happening.
  • No other buttons do anything.
  • The internal lightbulb does go on and off when you open/close the door, so the main switch at the top of the portal opening seems to be working in that regard. I see no other sensor switches around the door frame. I see no sensors inside the filter cavity. The filter is clean, and we cleaned out the filter cavity as well.
  • I have unplugged it, left it unplugged for several hours, and plugged it back in hoping to reset the board, but this did not work. No change in behavior.
I googled far and wide, but there are very few mentions of this model number anywhere I could find.

I cannot find a service manual on the web.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Pegi at Sams

Appliance Tech
Not sure, call LG at 1 800 243 0000 with your model and serial numbers, see if they can give us some diagnostics to run on the unit, or some hints, they are usually nice about helping, your tech sheet should be inside the dryer, probably taped to the inside of the case..

sonambulist

Premium Member
I called yesterday

I called that number yesterday. They didn't offer any advice at all. They wanted to schedule a tech visit, and asked for my closing documents, purchase date, etc.

BrntToast

Premium Member
LG uses some very fine wires on the control boards, i have seen the get pinched in the wrong spot during assembly and break after the dryer vibrates for a while, inspect all harnesses near the control board and try the diagnostics in the last post(if machine will let you run them)
while machine is powered you can use something plastic(non-conductive) to move wires slightly to see if any lights in the display change
this can help located bad wires
start there and post back

sonambulist

Premium Member
Fixed!

Well, I downloaded the service manual and attempted to run the diagnostics, but they would not run. Nothing at all happened when I powered it on and held down the two buttons.

So I started taking things apart. First thing was the filter assembly. It was chock full of lint, so I vacuumed the whole thing clean and put it back together. Tried turning it on, and again, same result.

I thought maybe the diagnostic button combination published in the manual could be wrong or maybe didn't apply to my model, so started trying other combinations (of which I realize there are thousands, but I'm desperate here, so...). No keypresses produced results, until... I pressed the very last panel button on the lower right, and heard a "ding!". It was the only button that made any sound.

Turns out this one little button was a little sticky and was stuck in the "in" position.

Once I worked it loose, the dryer started working fine again.

How crazy is that. I'm so glad I didn't call for a service person to come out!

Thanks for all the advice everyone.