• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LG Washer WT4870CW clutch & bearing assembly replacement: Tub nut won't seat? Read this.

Model Number
WT4870CW
Brand
LG
Hey, everyone in the future. I registered to put this up here.
With the instructions in the LG section of this blog, and with the top YouTube vids, you'll find nearly everything you need to do this. It's easy. However, be aware:
if you use a clutch and bearing assembly you find online, it may be a perfectly good generic part but one that is made for other washers and not just this particular LG. I could NOT get the tub nut to seat all the way down, no matter what I did. I tried to run the thing but the tub was a few millimeters too high and contacted the plastic tub guard. The result was quite a bit of scrubbing noises and a lot of plastic shavings in the first load. I disassembled the washer twice more before I realized:
The not-OEM-branded part had a longer spindle than the original by nearly 3 mm. Also, there was an extra, unneeded washer on the spindle body that was another 2-3 mm thick. Removing this washer, I was able to use my 12v impact wrench and seat the nut better, although it still didn't fit as flush as I remembered on the original part.
As I sit here, the washer is going through it's cycles without a lot of noise. I'm still glad I attempted this fix and I'm going to roll with it.
  • Order OEM parts, perhaps?
  • No matter what, assemble the tub nut parts by hand and you should get somewhere near the limit of the threads. If you don't , disassemble and make sure there aren't extra, bonus parts like I had.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jlocke@idletime

Premium Member
Had that same problem with my WT1101CW washer. Ordered another Clutch Assembly, making sure to get one advertised as "LG OEM". It didn't have the extra parts and the tub sat down like it was designed. I noticed the Pulsator Plate seemed to go back on easier, too. It was new with the Clutch Assembly, as I had to destroy the old one to get it off. I learned to check the descriptions closely and making sure that it says it is an original part.

jlocke@idletime

Premium Member
Follow-up to my previous post (above). A good lesson is to compare the old part with the replacement part before installation. Would have saved me some money and a lot of headache. The arrow is pointing to the extra 'step' on the shaft which kept the tub from seating all the way down. Obvious once I knew to look for it!

Wrong Clutch Assy.jpg