• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG Washer WT4870CW - Drain pump is on even when washer is turned off

LG puzzle

Premium Member
Model Number
WT4870CW
Brand
LG
Yesterday after the cycle was finished and the washer was emptied, the drain pump started to run. We turned off the washer and it kept running. When the unit was plugged back in the pump immediately started to run again, even with the washer turned off. I started a quick wash cycle to re-set the unit, however the drain pump was still on and pumped the water out as fast as it was being put into the drum.

LG support says that this is the first time they have heard of such an issue.

Can you please offer any thoughts on what to look within the unit?

Thanks for your time!!

LG puzzle

Premium Member
I contacted LG twice, by phone and then chat, today and was told twice that the pump being on is some thing they have never heard about. I took the drain pipe off to look at the water being pumped out and it was clear and appeared not to be restricted.

I followed the wires up to the control panel and all seemed to be intact.

I wonder if it is the pump malfunctioning or if it has to do with main circuit board keeping the pump on?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I wonder if it is the pump malfunctioning or if it has to do with main circuit board keeping the pump on?
If the drain pump is getting power all of the time or when it shouldn't be getting power....can't think of anything else besides something stuck/welded closed on the board keeping the drain pump energized...

Main-Control-Board-EBR75795702-01676583.jpg Main power control board assembly

jeff.

Last edited:

JRBurke

Did the main board fix it?

I'm having the exact same question with the exact same washer -- did replacing the main board fix this?

hmoffett

Not sure why this worked, but traded out the drain pump and it was still running even with the new part. Put the old parts back in and was ready to buy a new washer. I had laundry to do, so I was going to "trick" my washer. I unplugged the pump from the washer circuit (with the washer unplugged of course), did a wash cycle until it was going to drain. Unplugged the washer, reconnected the drain pump, (it immediately turned on and started pumping out the wash water). I set the washer to rinse and spin out the clothes.

After the cycle, the pump turned off and it has been working correctly again for two days. A weird "reset" of the circuit board. Don't know how long it will last, but I have now done 8 loads of laundry and it is still working fine. Not a drain pump issue, definitely something with the circuit board. Needs a hard reset that the unplugging process does not fix. Like the guy 2 years ago, LG was puzzled. Has never heard of this issue before.

Dad#1

My washer drain motor kept running even after the cycle was done. Was ready to buy a new circuit board. Watched a video on YouTube. The man talked about how he had the same problem but with a different model. The problem was a stuck relay. I unplugged the washer and opened the metal cover that covered the back of the circuit board. I plugged in the washer and unplugged it right away. After 5-10 seconds the relay clicked. I tapped on it with the handle of a screwdriver. Did this several times till I found the right one. It is now working!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Glad you found it....it will likely come back...often the contacts inside the relay are pitted and get arced together = new board time.

jeff.

Saglianibobby

My washer drain motor kept running even after the cycle was done. Was ready to buy a new circuit board. Watched a video on YouTube. The man talked about how he had the same problem but with a different model. The problem was a stuck relay. I unplugged the washer and opened the metal cover that covered the back of the circuit board. I plugged in the washer and unplugged it right away. After 5-10 seconds the relay clicked. I tapped on it with the handle of a screwdriver. Did this several times till I found the right one. It is now working!
Is the washer still working? I'm having the same issue now