• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LG WM3470HVA Front load washer, grinding or clicking sound problem?

cancun555

Premium Member
Model Number
WM3470HVA
Brand
LG
I bought a brand new LG WM3470HVA discounted because with very mind out scratches. I turned it on today, and it makes some kind of grinding sound (or clicking) when the processing light says WASH. When its on WASH cycle, it rotates real slow and stops then goes. When it goes into the SPIN or RINSE cycle, or when it spins fast there is NO grind sound. I believe it is coming from the back bottom right corner.

Is this normal or not?

Here is a video of the sound.

LG WM3470HVA grinding or clicking sound problem? - YouTube

It spins perfect, but this sound concerns me if its suppose to happen or not?

Thank you anyone for their input!

wildimaginations

Appliance Tech
I don't know. I can't hear any grinding noises. I just hear the motor turning through the video. You may need to have a technician come out and help you.

wigglytoes

Premium Member
It doesn't sound normal to me.
In fact, my Kenmore makes the exact same sound. At the same time. During the wash cycle when it's turning slowly between stops. I also described it as a grinding sound. It's fine except for that sound, at that point in the cycle. So we have the exact same problem - in my view. And supposedly LG made Kenmores that year. (Mine is just over a year old, I bought it around May 2014.)

Did you ever learn more, or solve the problem?

Curtis J

Premium Member
It looked to me like on the back the shipping bolts were removed and white plugs installed.. make sure none were broke off and partially left in.

remove the back panel and run and listen to the unit to see if you can better tell where the sound is coming from.
motor
tub

with unit off.. spin tub by hand any noise.. lose coins or screws?

inspect and see how the inner steel tub is sitting in the door.. is it centered or off to one side more than the other.

plenty of people have bought these and not removed the shipping bolts.. they ran them and they beat themself up.. they removed the bolts.. but fractured
what I call the spider shaft mount.. on the back inner tub... metal tub
if it got broke or bent.. it will rub the front outer tub,, at the front.

you also may want to check the nut on the motor and make sure it tight.

wigglytoes

Premium Member
I've uploaded my own video of the grinding sounds coming from my washer.
There is something lost in the translation of recording to Iphone, then uploading to YouTube.
In the YouTube video it sound like a bunch of rocks are in the drum, while in the real world it resembles more of a grinding.

[video=youtube_share;SMOq5Mj99hw]https://youtu.be/SMOq5Mj99hw[/video]

DOCTORBMW

I've uploaded my own video of the grinding sounds coming from my washer.
There is something lost in the translation of recording to Iphone, then uploading to YouTube.
In the YouTube video it sound like a bunch of rocks are in the drum, while in the real world it resembles more of a grinding.
what was the fix for this noise issue? I have one too and after 4 years of service it started making this exact noise as well. I know the shipping bolts were removed, as I had it delivered and set up by home depot. we moved about 2 yrs ago other than that it has been in the same spot in house 1 and then in house 2

any input would be help full.