• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LGHC2342 Rust in back panel DIY repair

Yadkin

Premium Member
Model Number
LGHC2342
Brand
Frigidaire
I've read through both these threads:

It's pretty obvious that the manufacturer is discouraging DIYers from getting the needed parts at a fair price (currently over $500), so I plan on fixing this myself with cobbed up parts.

I don't know if there is structural support needed for whatever is in contact with the rear panel. I'm hoping that someone knows the answer or has taken pictures of their factory repair while the work was being done.

I'm considering two repair options.

1. I can remove the loose rust with a wire brush then treat what's left of the metal with an over-the-counter product and paint it. Then put a closed cell rubber foam insulation on top of it.
2. I can cut the panel out and provide some sort of thermal break for a new support to what even it is is being supported. Then insulate with a foam rubber, pop-rivet a repair panel on.

#1 is far easier so obviously I'd like to go that route if it will work. Any advice or clue to what is under rusted panel would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 76

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the ice maker water line caused the rust but it was probably from the refrigeration lines to the evaporator. I need a better picture. There's no support for anything. It's just the back of the fridge.

Yadkin

Premium Member
Here's a different angle. You can see what looks like a spot-weld at the darkest part of the stain. That's what has led me to believe that it may be a structural connection. A close-up doesn't really show anything more.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 68

Yadkin

Premium Member
Then there's this diagram from the owner's manual. The origin of the rust pattern is right where item B is located- the evaporator fan. The fan is visible when I remove a metal panel on the inside but I can't see how it's attached. I think that would need to be rigidly supported.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 85

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's a different angle.
My bad, I should have said I need a pic of the entire back of the refrigerator so I can see exactly where the spot is and where the refrigerant lines go into the cabinet.
The origin of the rust pattern is right where item B is located-
I don't think so. I believe it's where the refrigerant lines go to "C", the evaporator. The fan motor is right above that. The fan motor is mounted to the inner wall. Under the evaporator is the defrost drain hole.

Yadkin

Premium Member
The first picture shows the top and right edge as viewed from the back. The plastic hose enters the cabinet 20" above the center of the rust spot.

Inside the cabinet, the fan is located directly above the evaporator coils.