• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LGHD2369TF1 Upper ice maker does not work. 15 months old .

BobinAZ

Premium Member
Model Number
LGHD2369TF1
Brand
Frigidaire
Ice maker quit making ice.
The auger spins when you try for ice in the door.
The water fill in the door works.
I unplugged the fridge for 15 minutes and plugged it back in and,
I also put in a new filter, neither of these fixed it .
It was bought new 15 months ago.
Where do I start troubleshooting?
I do have a volt / test meter .
If it is the water control valve how do I remove the water hoses? All the plastic water hoses, they are not like hex nuts?
All the instructions I can find just say "remove hoses" .
Do they just pull out?
Thanks!

Does the water go through the filter before it goes through the water control valve on the way to the ice maker?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

barryware

Premium Member
I am not a professional appliance technician..

I have a Kenmore which is made by Frigidaire and my fridge is the same design as yours and I have had a few problems in regard to the ice maker.

Behind the front kick plate (removable plastic piece under freezer door) should be a piece of paper. Mine was in a clear plastic envelope stuck to the floor above the drain tray on the right side.

This is the "service data sheet". This will tell you how to put your unit into diagnostic mode.

On mine, there are two different DM's.. One is specifically for the icemaker, the other for the rest of the fridge.

That said.. Put your icemaker into diagnostic mode. The 1st thing displayed will be the temperature of the ice tray (mold). It needs to be below 13 degrees.

After that you can test the harvest motor (twist mold motor), water valve, air handler fan, etc.

You should also check to make sure the ice maker evaporator is clear of all frost and ice right after a defrost cycle. If not defrosting correctly, the mold thermistor may show a high(er) temperature and that will prevent the icemaker from making ice.

You can see the ice maker evaporator looking through the grill for the air handler with a flashlight.

From time to time.. My twist mold will over rotate home. Meaning that after an ice harvest, the mold will rotate back clockwise and should stop when level and that is when the mold fills with water. However, mine will over rotate home so the mold looks like.. Instead of being at 12:00, it is at 1:00.

When that happens, it will no longer make ice, and the ice maker fan will continue to run during a defrost cycle which should not be.

To correct the position of the mold I need to put the ice maker into diagnostic mode, and then take it out of diagnostic mode. Once I do that, the mold goes back to it's correct home position and it starts working again (until the next time it screws up) which could be days, weeks, or months.

EDIT: I type too slow.. Thanks Jake.

Last edited:

BobinAZ

Premium Member
52C - 6 degrees f.
55c - nothing, no water , no noise like it's even trying
57C - off
58C - OK, arm inside goes up and down
63C - 1 & GOOD

the whole time there is no water in the trays or anywhere else .

Thanks!

barryware

Premium Member
Jake is going to have to help..

My fridge has a total of 4 water valves..

The valve going to the filter opens as well as whatever other valve needs to open at the same time (water dispenser, ice maker fill, etc.) My fridge has a 4th valve for the ice maker in the freezer. My fridge is not equipped with one but everything is there (wire connections, fill tube) if I were to want to add one, which I do not.

If your water dispenser works, that would rule out the valve going to the filter as being defective.

If the ice maker fill valve was defective, you should still be able to hear the filter valve actuate.

Because you can not hear the filter valve, or the ice maker fill valve actuate when testing in diagnostic mode.. I can be of no help.

BobinAZ

Premium Member
I will run it again when my wife gets home.
Especially 55C , she has much better hearing than I do.
But I can hear the normal noise when the valve opens and fills the tray ( back when it worked)
Thanks!

BobinAZ

Premium Member
It does make noise when doing 55C test.
A click then it sounds like a motor running then it stops.
But no water.
My wife could hear it but I couldn't so I turned off all the background noise in the house, then I could hear it.

barryware

Premium Member
My valves "hum" when actuated..

Now figure out which valve is for the ice maker fill. My fridge has all 4 valves on one bracket.. I do not remember what color the valve is for the ice maker (green maybe)..

Go to the hardware store and get a couple of feet of the right size nylon tubing.

Remove the hose going to the ice maker from the valve.. There is a collar, usually white that you need to push down on so the nylon hose will release and pull out of the valve.

Push in your piece of tubing you just acquired.. Put the free end into a cup or small bucket of some kind..

Run the test.. Does water come out of the hose?

If yes, the fill tube nozzle in the ice maker compartment is probably frozen. I have heard this may be a common problem.

You can also get a bit creative by blowing into or sucking on the fill hose to see if it is frozen shut.

If water does not flow when running the test.. Now you have to check for voltage at the coil terminals.

Before I did that, I would remove the electrical connector from the coil and use an ohm meter to make sure the coil is not open. I don't know what the ohm reading should be.. I do know that it should not test open.

If the coil is not open, now check for voltage at the electrical terminal when running the test. Jake will have to confirm but I believe is should be 110 VAC.

EDIT: I just checked the tubing I have in the garage that fit my fridge fittings.. 5/16 OD - 3/16 ID

Last edited:

BobinAZ

Premium Member
I got to go out of town for the weekend.
I will pick this back up on Mon or Tues.
Thank you for the help, I feel progress is being made.

barryware

Premium Member
As said.. I am not a professional technician.. My fridge is the same design as yours and I purchased it new in late 2013..

Since the warranty expired, I have had nothing be problems.. Stupid engineering problems and I have been able to keep it running with a lot of help on this forum.

I am just sharing what I have learned by trying to keep my fridge going..

The wife loves the fridge (looks, size, etc.). I hate this POS and to my surprise, I just don't have $2K+ to spend on a replacement.

Good luck..

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bob,

So you are hearing the water inlet valve solenoid humming when you do test 55 yes?

Lets make sure your getting water to it from your house water supply line, take the water supply line off and put it in a bucket or container and see how much water pressure you have going into the bucket. It should be a very strong stream out, not weak.:)

If your water pressure is good, then check for a ice clog in your ice maker fill tube. If no clog, replace the water inlet valve.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
Water Inlet Valve 242253002

Jake

BobinAZ

Premium Member
Sorry so long to respond! I got busy.
It started working again !
I never got around to the last tests and planned on doing
it in the fall, we only live in this house during the winter months so I didn't want to fix
it and have it sit for 5 months, so I was going to finish it this fall.
Last night it started working again ! After doing nothing for over 2 weeks.
We were sitting around watching TV and all of a sudden it dumped the trays of ice into the bin!
Thanks for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Bob.:)

Yes, most of the snowbirds are leaving this week to head north again for the summer.

I'm 25 miles from Quartzsite, AZ and its like a ghost town in the summer months. LOL

Jake

BobinAZ

Premium Member
It's freezing up.
If I take it apart and squirt hot water on to where the water comes out of the "ceiling" of the ice maker it will start working again.
It works for 2-3 days and freezes up again.
Take it apart again, squirt the hot water and it works again.
Thanks!

BobinAZ

Premium Member
I think these problems started when I bought bargain water filters. three for $50 .
I'm going back to the OEM $50 filter.
I will report back in the fall when I do that, we are just about to snowbird out of Arizona for the summer.
Thanks for reading.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I think these problems started when I bought bargain water filters. three for $50 .
Its ironic you mentioned that, I was out at a service call yesterday in Blythe, California replacing a ice maker in a Frigidaire Refrigerator and the customer had bought a water filter for his refrigerator on amazon for $20 but the retail OEM water filter price for his model I looked up was $77, I thought to myself WOW, WTF is going on here, LOL. And sure enough when he opened the box it was in, it was broken.

That just verified you get what you pay for, that's why I always tell my customers and folks here to stay away from deep discounted places selling anything appliance parts related.

Its always wise to get OEM even if you have to pay more, its not worth it to skimp on appliance parts and even water filters.:)

I'm going back to the OEM $50 filter.
I will report back in the fall when I do that, we are just about to snowbird out of Arizona for the summer.
I agree with you on that Bob 110%.:)

Have a good summer, we will be here always to help out whenever you need us.:)

Jake

BobinAZ

Premium Member
We are back in AZ for the winter.
I installed a new OEM water filter and the icemaker has been working perfect.
Although the whole fridge was turned off all summer.
So what "fixed" the icemaker problem the OEM filter or the "rest" ?
I'm going to stick with only OEM filters and see what happens., that way I know the problem isn't caused by after market filters .

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

BobinAZ

Premium Member
Icemaker is still working perfectly with OEM filter .
I put in a new OEM last week, no problems .