• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LGHK2336TF0 Frigidaire Gallery Refrigerator - Evap fan cycling high/low speed

bilmar

Premium Member
Model Number
LGHK2336TF0
Brand
Frigidaire
My LGHK2336TF0 has a pretty noisy Evaporator fan which at high speed is comparable to a typical microwave in both pitch and noise. As soon as I open the freezer door it cycles to a much lower ( & quieter) speed. Sometimes the fan cycles high/low/high many times over several minutes with a few seconds between speeds. There is no certainty to the timing suggesting it is random and perhaps a bad sensor at threshold in hysteresis.
It is NOT a bad door sensor since open door causes an audible alarm.
Should the evaporator fan be at high speed 90% of the time and only go to low speed when the door is open?
Or should it run low speed most of the time suggesting I have a bad sensor or control board?

Any ideas what this may be?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

bilmar

Premium Member
Key question is when SHOULD the fan run at high speed?
Is it supposed to run at high (noisy) speed all the time except when the door is open or is high speed supposed to only kick in in certain situations - eg temp too warm?

rickgburton

Staff member
High speed all the time. Low speed when door is open. Check feedback voltage (test #15 in service mode).

Attachments

• LGHK2336TF0-tech sheet.pdf
    354.3 KB · Views: 37

bilmar

Premium Member
Thanks,
Not the answer I was hoping for since high speed is so loud but at least I now know it is not broken.

For anyone considering buying one of these - make the salesman take the fridge out of 'showroom mode' so you can hear how loud it is!

rickgburton

Staff member
Maybe it's the fan motor that's bad. I don't remember them being that loud.

bilmar

Premium Member
At high speed it sounds similar in both tone and volume to a microwave oven running.

If it should be at high speed all the time then why does it randomly cycle down to low for 5 seconds then back to high for 10 seconds, low for 2 seconds, high for 8 seconds etc all seemingly random changes. And it sometimes goes down to low speed for a good 30 minutes.

It sure seems to be teetering on the edge between high and low speed.