• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LGHN2844MF0 Frigidaire Refrigerator Ice Maker Freezing Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jab4482

Premium Member
Model Number
LGHN2844MF0
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello,

I have a french door frigidaire refregerator where the ice maker keeps freezing up. The water tube that feeds the ice maker inside the freezer slowly freezes. I'm at the point now where every week I have to take a hair dryer to thaw out the water feed tube so water can continue to reach the ice maker. Otherwise, the feed tube becomes 75% blocked with ice, an icicle grows out of the feed tube down to the ice maker water inlet area causing that to freeze so no water can reach the ice maker.

After reading online, it seems like the water inlet valve may be bad and needs to be replaced which is a $60 part. How did I know this is the issue? I hate to order a new part and this doesn't fix the problem. Also, how easy is it to DIY the replacment of the water inlet valve if this is the issue?

Welcome any advice or feedback from people with a similar experiance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

That model number didn't pull up as good, please recheck it.

Yes, this problem is either the water inlet valve has a slow leak in it, or your water pressure to the water inlet valve is too low, that will also cause it.

Put your fingers in the ice maker tray and see if all the cube slots have ice in them, if they do then your water pressure is fine and the water inlet valve is the problem.

Jake

jab4482

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. The refrigerator model number is LGHN2844MF0. The serial number is 4A12707871. I suspect it is filling up as it's making ice, it's just after about a week it slows down. The feed tube starts to freeze over alongwith the little "square" portion on top of the ice maker which I think disperses the water to the tray. Each week, there is a block of solid ice in this spot too. How do I know what water inlet valve to buy? Is this something someone handy can handle replacing?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I just found a service bulletin on this problem. I'm attaching it below.

Your serial number 4A12707871 falls in this range per the service bulletin.

You will need this kit:
Frigidaire 5303918600 Kit Water Tube

Jake

Attachments

• Service Flash Freezer Ice Maker Fill Tube on French Door Models.pdf
    335.8 KB · Views: 2,282

jab4482

Premium Member
Jake,

I bought the part and installed about 2-3 weeks ago. So far no freezing up! Prior all it took was three days to start to see ice forming. I can't believe this was a $10 part fix vs. calling in someone to service and god knows telling me what I would have needed. Thank you again for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.