• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LGHN2844MF4 Frigidaire Refrigerator Is Leaking Water

NDL

Premium Member
Model Number
LGHN2884MF4
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello: I am new to this forum; so glad to have found it!

I have a Frigidaire LGHN2844MF4 refrigerator; the refrigerator occasionally leaves a small puddle of water on the floor, on the right hand side of the fridge.

When I placed my finger in the drip pan, it was bone dry. I then looked at the bottom interior panel of the freezer, to find a sheet of ice...my thinking is that the water isn't draining into the gutter, down the hose, and into the drip pan: it's collecting at the bottom of the freezer. Once the bottom panel has no more capacity to retain any more water, the remaining water leaks onto the floor.

There's no access panel on the inside of the freezer to gain access to the gutter; I unscrewed the rear panel, and it revealed the condenser coil, but there was no way to get to the drip gutter.

I'm a novice at best, so I didn't want to remove the condenser coil...what I did was unplug the fridge for 26 hours, hoping the gutter would defrost; it did not, because ice is starting to reappear on the interior bottom of the freezer.

I don't want to tilt the refrigerator on it's side, and work on the gutter from the refrigerator bottom; any ideas?

Thank you

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Model Number LGHN2884MF4

I can not find a listing for that model number. Are you certain it isn't supposed to be LGHN2844MF4 ?

On LGHN2844MF4 the drain trough that may be plugged is behind the rear panel inside the freezer compartment. It will be beneath the evaporator (cooling) coil.

I don't know if it will help but you can see some exploded parts views of that model at this link:

The drain is likely plugged with ice now. It needs to be thoroughly thawed (the tubing is 3-4" deep) and flushed, preferably from the bottom to push any foreign material out the top. Compressed air from the bottom usually works once thoroughly thawed. (Cover the hole in the freezer while doing it to catch anything forced out the top!).

Once thoroughly cleaned, flush it with warm water from the top using a turkey baster, etc.

Dan O.

NDL

Premium Member
Sir: Thank you so much for your time, and for your correction; you are correct: the model number is LGHN2844MF4.

I did not see any access from inside of the refrigerator.

I'm afraid to ask, but I guess the only way for me to tackle this is from the bottom? The refrigerator weighs over 350 pounds, and I don't have access to a helper for assistance, for the time being.

Another question: if I take the back panel off, and run a hairdryer over the condenser coil, will the hot air from the hair dryer melt the ice off of the gutter drain?

(I do not know how many inches back the gutter is from the condenser coil, nor do I know the positioning of the gutter, whether it's above or below the condenser)

Thank you Sir

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
NDL said:
I did not see any access from inside of the refrigerator.

The rear panel inside the freezer comes off to access the evaporator (cooling) coil. Exactly how to go about that I can not tell you.

It is behind this part:
cover.jpg

NDL said:
I guess the only way for me to tackle this is from the bottom?

The only way to get to it if from inside the freezer as I suggested.

NDL said:
if I take the back panel off, and run a hairdryer over the condenser coil, will the hot air from the hair dryer melt the ice off of the gutter drain?

The condenser is the hot part under or behind the refrigerator. Heating it will have no affect on anything inside the refrigerator cabinet as it is insulated.

Dan O.

NDL

Premium Member
Dan O. said:
The rear panel inside the freezer comes off to access the evaporator (cooling) coil. Exactly how to go about that I can not tell you.

Sir: your time is very appreciated...thank you!

Okay...you've filled in a lot of blanks.

I am very remedial in my understanding; I see the access panel that you referenced. I pull that off, and the evaporator coil sits above the gutter, and that piece gives me ample access to both the evaporator coil and the gutter.

One final question: does the gutter nipple plug directly into the hose, or is there a filter in between the gutter nipple and the hose? The thinking behind my question is this: if the gutter nipple plugs directly into the hose, all I gotta do is run a cleaning agent down the line, clear it out, and I am done; if there's a filter mounted inside of the gutter nipple, then I hope I will be able to remove the filter to clean it as well.

Again...thanks so much for filling in the blanks; the visual was very helpful.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
There is no filter however the drain system could possibly be damaged by a cleaner, specially a regular drain cleaner. Besides the chemical fumes in close proximity to food stuffs which is generally suggested be avoided.

Compressor air or just water is best. Keep in mind that if there's food bits lodged in the drain causing the blockage, trying to flush it from the top could just drive it deeper in. Flushing from the bottom back up usually produces the most thorough results.

Dan O.