• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED LGHS2665KF0 Frigidaire Gallery Side by Side Freezer not Freezing, Fridge OK

n1kt0

Premium Member
Model Number
LGHS2665KF0
Brand
Frigidaire
I have the freezer side of my fridge/freezer set to 0 degrees, and I've noticed over the past few days, it's been creeping up to around 20 degrees before going back down to 0. Today, the temperature started increasing and never went back down. I've taken all the food out, and it's now at 42 degrees and climbing. The fridge side is set to 36 degrees, and it's been holding steady at the set point.

I can hear the fans in the freezer running when I open the door. I took the back panel off and looked at the evaporator coils, which had no frost on them. I assume the compressor is actually working, though, because the fridge is able to maintain its temperature. Does this sound like a defrost thermostat issue? My defrost thermostat is hard wired, so I'm hesitant to cut it out without a replacement on hand, plus I don't have any way to generate temperatures cold enough to test it.

I don't know how long the compressor is typically supposed to run, but I typically hear it click on, run for a few seconds before clicking off, and repeat this cycle about every minute or so. Is this normal? It seems like you'd want the compressor to stay on longer and avoid cycling on and off so much to reduce wear and tear on the system.

n1kt0

Premium Member
...and of course, I solved it as soon as I posted this. The hot side coils were COVERED in dust and lint. After a quick vacuuming, the compressor is staying on and the freezer temperature is dropping.

n1kt0

Premium Member
Well, I thought that solved it, but several hours later, after cooling back down to 0 degrees, the compressor has begun cycling on for a few seconds and back off again, and the freezer temperature has risen to 8 degrees. I have the unit pulled away from the wall so it gets good air circulation, but it's still running the compressor for an abnormally short cycle. Anyone have any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

No, the compressor should not be short cycling like that.

Is the condenser fan motor running? It sits next to the compressor.

Here's the condenser fan motor for your model:
297279500 Condenser Fan Motor

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
n1kt0 never came back to update his thread.

Do you have the exact same model number LGHS2665KF0? The model number tag is located inside the refrigerator section on the walls or ceiling.

Jake

davidbunting

Premium Member
yes I do. I've determined that the condenser fan is running but I it appears that the compressor may not be starting so I'm wondering if it's the compressor start relay? My fridge side is staying at a consistent 33 degrees but the freezer side is not maintaining it's temperature. The interior coils are clean and not frozen up.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
it appears that the compressor may not be starting
My fridge side is staying at a consistent 33 degrees
It has to be starting or it wouldn't be getting down to 33 degrees.:)

What's the freezer temperature?

Jake

yrpatel2004

Premium Member
I have a same problem and the same model number LGHS2665KF0, any help would be appreciated. This morning before I left for work the temperature was fine, but now when I called home and checked the temperature for the freezer is was rising to 25, the fridge temperature is working fine. Also I noticed that compressor starts to kick in then it kicks out. The evaporator fan is running fine, no ice build up, coils are clean, is it possible that compressor start relay is defective or thermostat in freezer is defective. I was looking for the location for the thermostat in freezer but can't seem to find it.

Last edited:

davidbunting

Premium Member
I have a same problem and the same model number LGHS2665KF0, any help would be appreciated. This morning before I left for work the temperature was fine, but now when I called home and checked the temperature for the freezer is was rising to 25, the fridge temperature is working fine. Also I noticed that compressor starts to kick in then it kicks out. The evaporator fan is running fine, no ice build up, coils are clean, is it possible that compressor start relay is defective or thermostat in freezer is defective. I was looking for the location for the thermostat in freezer but can't seem to find it.
Mine was the compressor start relay. It was a very easy and inexpensive fix. I replaced it in 2 minutes and it’s been running perfectly ever since. I’d give that a shot.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear the compressor start relay fixed yours David. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Here's the compressor start relay for model LGHS2665KF0:
241941003 Start Device

Yes, yrpatel2004, keep us posted on yours too please.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake