• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

LGUS2642LF Frigidaire refrigerator won't operate

UNNRE4LL

Premium Member
Model Number
LGUS2642LF
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello, hoping to get some guidance. I have a LGUS2642LF frigidaire side by side refrigerator. When I plug it in, I hear the icemaker mechanism making noises like it's working, but nothing else does. No compressor, no other sounds, no light inside and the control panel has no power.

I checked the power cord, no kinks or doesnt appear to be damaged. No loose wires in the back. I took off compressor run relay and shook it to hear a rattle, no rattle. I ordered a multimeter to check y outlet just in case but I have a mini fridge connected to it without any issues. I did unplug before plugging in this fridge. No fuse on my breaker was tripped.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
Follow the power cord to the board and measure the voltage. If it's 120 VAC the board is bad.

UNNRE4LL

Premium Member
Replaced the board and that worked. Thank you for the advice.

Now what's happening is I hear a click then compressor kicks on, 5 seconds later then another click and compressor stops running.

I did some research and test the prongs of the compressor where the relay is located. All 3 prongs gave me an ohms reading on my multimeter which seemed to be a good sign.

I ordered both the run capacitor and relay as I read that's the issue. Replaced both and it's still doing the same thing. I cleaned the coils with compressed air, the fan is working as well. I don't understand why the compressor won't stay on. Any ideas?

UNNRE4LL

Premium Member
Sorry for my very delayed responses. I'm trying to work on it when I can.

I have the 2 prong on top a 1 prong on bottom of compressor.
C - S = 6.9
C - R = 5.3

On the relay pictured I get 0.1 on the bottom test (<1ohm) and I get no reading when I test the 2 holes at the top. This is both on the old and new one I bought.

Any thoughts?

The compressor starts and 5 seconds later you hear an obvious click, then it shuts off. The relay pictured is warm when I pulled it off after testing it plugged in for a few minutes.

rickgburton

Staff member
and I get no reading when I test the 2 holes at the top. This is both on the old and new one I bought.
Where are you getting these reays?

Wait, recheck the compressor run windings. 5.3Ω is too high

UNNRE4LL

Premium Member
Got it off amazon for the expedited shipping. It was sold by Electrolux.

I changed to clamps on my multi and now I got 3.8 C - R and 5.8 C - S

rickgburton

Staff member
OK then we're back to the start device/relay/overload. You got a bad one so exchange it. What I think is happening is with the relay open the compressor is running on the start windings only. The high amps is causing the overload to to trip:

UNNRE4LL

Premium Member
Thanks Rick, you've been great. I'm working on getting the part replaced but I ordered back when you gave me direction months ago. I placed an order from link provided. It's been one helluva learning trial. More money spent then its worth but I can't give up.

rickgburton

Staff member
You're not the first person to get a bad one from Amazon or eBay. We've had lots of issues with them when it comes to appliance parts.

UNNRE4LL

Premium Member
Alright Rick, new relay and compressor is running! BUT, the refrigerator isn't cooling lol. What a project! The fan next to compressor is spinning good with no issue and the coils next to the fan are clean.

I let it run overnight and the temp didn't budge. I don't know if this helps but the fan was blowing very cool air. I would expect slightly warm.

rickgburton

Staff member
.....compressor is running!.......the refrigerator isn't cooling
Well shoot! You have a sealed system problem. Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the machines value.

UNNRE4LL

Premium Member
Looks like I'm pulling the plug here. Thanks for all the help and advice partner. I appreciate you.

rickgburton

Staff member
Bad time of year to lose an appliance with the holidays so close but lots of big sales coming up.