• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Liebherr CN5056 freezer not cold enough

pjstock

Premium Member
Model Number
CN5056
Brand
-brand-
I know you guys don't love fancy pants euro appliances, but this is what we've got...
a Liebherr CN5056 fridge/freezer. (Service number 0916675-00 if that means anything) Fridge works fine. Freezer? not so much. even with the temp control set to -20C (-4F) the freezer compartment only gets to about -8C (17F). barely adequate but not enough to keep ice cream really frozen hard for instance. (that reading was taken overnight but with just a standard weather thermometer. but I think it should be accurate enough.)
There are three levels of freezer. two wide drawers on the bottom and middle and two smaller drawers on the top level. those top level smaller drawers get even less cold than the bottom drawers.

the only thing I did after purchase (2nd hand, of course) was to remove the icemaking equipment from the upper LH freezer compartment. we don't need auto ice (and didn't have a water line installed) but did want the extra freezer space.

You've talked me through investigations of several standard North American brand refrigerators.
But I have no idea how a Liebherr works or where to even start investigating.

any ideas?

pjstock

Premium Member
Houston, we have a problem....

And i think i see it.
on emptying out the freezer (for a diagnostic defrost) i find a HUGE ice dam along the back wall. Amazing it cooled at all.

I expect this is due to a blocked drain line. Further news once it is melted

Attachments

pjstock

Premium Member
now the question is "Why?" Why does that ice dam happen?
I checked the drain line from the upper fridge cavity. it had some gunk in it but is now running clear.
but I don't see a drain line from the freezer unit. there is a plastic plate there that I will remove as soon as the ice behind it melts and clears.

Attachments

pjstock

Premium Member
there does seem to be a water collection pan and drain hole in the freezer compartment too. But I cannot figure out where it drains to.
this drain hole is on the RH side when looking into the box (the fridge drain hole is on the LH side and has an obvious outlet tube to a plastic evaporation pan under the back of the fridge, also on the LH side)
but there doesn't seem to be any similar drain tube on the other side, for the freezer condensate.

there is an odd looking 1.5" round plastic cap of sorts. I have no idea what it is for.

I guess I will wait overnight for that freezer drain system to melt and then investigate with a piece of stiff wire. and/or hot water.

Attachments

pjstock

Premium Member
well it is defrosted, dried out, cleaned up, repositioned and plugged back in.
that Freezer drain channel DOES seem to empty to that round plastic plug. I was able to slide a wire down there. and test water exited there. But strangely there is no drain tube and no evaporation / collection pan (until I can get an explanation from Liebherr or someone else about how that plastic cap is supposed to work and how the freezer is supposed to drain, I have removed the cap and stuck a plastic pan in there to collect the runoff.

we'll see. I'll watch the back of the freezer to see if ice builds up again. if that happens I expect the AutoDefrost is not working. (how does that work anyway? there is a small 1" square black plastic square with wires attached to the metal sheet in the freezer. )

I'll report back.

(the interesting thing about these euro fridges, or at least the Liebherr, is that they have 2 independent compressor and cooling systems. Unlike most North American fridges I have investigated (where the fridge is just cooled by a fan from the freezer compartment) you can turn the fridge on while leaving the freezer off. I am not sure if that makes these more reliable or what the point is. but it's different.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi PJ,

I would love to help you but I know nothing about this brand.

Maybe @Dan O. could help you if he knows.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Sorry but I have no experience with that brand and can find no information about that model, not even a parts list to look at. I have no idea how it was designed.

I've read some models are made by Arçelik, a Turkish manufacturer. I have no experience with that manufacturer's products either.

It's easier to help with domestic brand appliances with a fully developed support system.

Last edited: