Light & Noise in a Frigidaire A/C

AK

Premium Member
imported post

Two unusual questions about a 6,000-BTU Frigidaire window air conditioner -- rated a best buy in the current issue of Consumer Reports -- that I just bought. First, unlike any A/C I've ever owned, light streams through the vent in the morning because there's apparently nothing but white styrofoam separating the top part of the unit from the outside world. Is this normal? Second, any use of the digital controls (e.g., changing the fan speed or temperature setting) produces an unusually loud beep -- enough to wake a sleeping spouse. Can a not-terribly-handy person somehow mute or even silence that noise?

Thanks for any help.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

AK wrote:
6,000-BTU Frigidaire window air conditioner -- rated a best buy in the current issue of Consumer Reports
I'm afraid that is unlikely to be helpful to most of us to properly identify the product in question. What is usually needed is the unit's complete model number as printed on its model and serial number tag (on the appliance itself).

light streams through the vent in the morning because there's apparently nothing but white Styrofoam separating the top part of the unit from the outside world. Is this normal?
Just having Styrofoam between the inside and outside air is normal these days. Older models used to use just a piece of sheet metal with a token amount of fiber insulation on it.

Whether light should be "streaming through" I don't know. If the vent was open, it may be a possibility that light could shine through it depending on the actual design of whichever Frigidaire A/C model you purchased and the angle of the sun at the time. Have you tried closing the vent?

use of the digital controls produces an unusually loud beep -- enough to wake a sleeping spouse. Can a not-terribly-handy person somehow mute or even silence that noise?
Have you check the owner's manual to see if there are any settings which can be adjusted to reduce its volume?

Failing that, the control's buzzer may be able to be manually disconnected by cutting its joining wires (if wired in) or unsoldering its connection to the board (if soldered in). Depending on the buzzer's actual design, it may be able to be taped over or otherwise plugged in a way which might limit its volume.

Any temperating with a new appliance may void its warranty!

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

AK

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks so much for your reply. The Frigidaire A/C's model number is FAA067P7. Does this help you to respond further to either of my questions?

This model doesn't seem to come with a vent control of any kind, so I don't think that's an option for reducing the light that shines through the styrofoam.

I'd love to know more about disconnecting the beeper, but I'd definitely need explicit instructions about where to find it and how to do it, in case you (or anyone else reading this) has the patience to guide me.

Many thanks!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

AK wrote:
The Frigidaire A/C's model number is FAA067P7.
That still looks incomplete, did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number tag? That is the only reliable place the complete model number will be found.

You can find tips for locating that tag on your appliances at the following link although it won't help me to answer your questions any more than what you've provided.

LINK > Model Number Tag Search

BTW. The tag's location also looks to be described on page 3 of the owner's manual where it suggests you record them.

This model doesn't seem to come with a vent control of any kind
According to page 10 of one FAA067P7... model's owner manual,

Frigidaire A/C owner's manual wrote:
Fresh Air Vent Control (On some models)
The Fresh Air Vent allows the air conditioner to:
1. Recirculate inside air - Vent Closed (see Fig. 1) - [shows a lever just below the air louvers on the front cover]
2. Draw fresh air into the room - Vent Open (see Fig. 2) - [shows lever pulled out]
3. Exchange air from the room and draws fresh air into the room - Vent and Exhaust Open (see Fig. 3) - [lever in]
If your model doesn't have such a lever, I don't know how you'd close the vent. So if open, you may need to take the unit in for service. (I actually can't see the factory leaving it permanently open as that would reduce the unit's cooling ability and decrease the energy efficiency ratings Frigidaire could claim for the unit. They would likely want to avoid that IMO.)

I'd love to know more about disconnecting the beeper, but I'd definitely need explicit instructions about where to find it and how to do it
Than I'd suggest taking the unit to a local Frigidaire authorized factory service depot and ask if they can do it for you.

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

jsseinfeld

imported post

I too have the same air conditioner (Frigidaire FAA067P7), and have experienced both problems mentioned (the light and the loud beeping sound). The light doesn't bother me as much as the noise. I turn the fan or temp down at night, and it wakes my wife up. I was a little disappointed in that. But what I'm even more disappoined at is the generalnoise of the unit. I usually have no problem sleeping, and I have trouble falling asleep with the noise of the unit when the AC actually goes on. The transition from AC to fan to off and back on again is extermely loud as well. Have you or anyone else experienced this? I saw in consumer reports they rated it as being quiet. I'm wondering if I improperly installed it, have a defective unit, or if it is just that loud. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

rbtrucking

Premium Member
I own the same air conditioner and i cant believe you guys are saying its to loud it is definately not i mean its a ac all ac's are gonna be noisy its the price you pay for cold air in the dead of summer. The beeping noise doesnt bother me either but if you cant handle it you might just want to take the thing apart and look for its speaker then rip it out. My guess is it would be right in the console or very close by.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
rbtrucking said:
I own the same air conditioner and i cant believe you guys are saying its to loud it is definately not i mean its a ac all ac's are gonna be noisy its the price you pay for cold air in the dead of summer. The beeping noise doesnt bother me either but if you cant handle it you might just want to take the thing apart and look for its speaker then rip it out. My guess is it would be right in the console or very close by.
I would be very careful ripping the speaker off, its part of the main circuit board, the board may become damaged, then nothing will work.

Jake

MetalCastr

Premium Member
The First thing I would do is tape over the beeper. This will allow a small beeping noise through, but shouldn't be as loud as a siren.