FIXED Light Switch - 1951 Crosley Shelvador

thebigjoe1

Premium Member
I recently purchased the above mentioned vintage refrigerator, with the intentions of restoring it to the best of my abilities. The unit itself is now working (bought it in non working condition), and have one last matter to tend to before i sand and paint it. The light switch usually doesn't work. In order for me to get the light on i have to play with the switch. I have to rotate it to the left, or sometimes the right for it to come on, but as soon as you press the switch it stays off. Id assume its something with the wiring, but have no desire to take the entire fridge apart to get to it. I have applied contact cleaner in the front, and worked it in, then i removed the protective plastic around the interior of the refrigerator. I got behind the insulation and sprayed there as well. No difference. Any ideas on how i can get this possibly working? I have attached images of the switch. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Just replace the switch. It's a two wire Normally Open switch. You'll need to match it up with one that will work. Something like this Maytag switch will work:
10166101 light switch.jpg

thebigjoe1

Premium Member
the problem is accessing that switch through that small space... it may be hard to do without taking alot of the fridge apart from what i can tell. Can you share where you found the switch in the picture? Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Take the speed nut off (you might need to spray some WD40 on it) then push the switch back into the hole and take it out the space on the side. I'll make you a diagram. That switch is Maytag part# 10166101. Google vintage refrigerator light switch then click on images.
Snapshot_1.jpg

thebigjoe1

Premium Member
As an update, i was able to remove the original switch, and extend the original wiring to have some room to play with. i purchased the maytag switch, but unfortunately that switch was not what i needed. Its a two push switch. One push to turn on, another to turn off. Fortunately, i went to an appliance parts store that was local to me, and believe it or not, they had an exact replacement for the original switch. Got it connected, and it worked just fine! When i am done with my restoration i will post some pics of the fridge. Thanks for your help!